WiFi MUCH better with 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rwwlaw, Jul 28, 2008.

1. rwwlaw macrumors newbie

Can now get full wifi connection to fios from my basement to my 2nd floor. Could never get that with 1st gen.

2. S Brake macrumors regular

My wifi connection at home is incredible, I'm getting almost 3.5 Mbps on my iphone

3. Soreo macrumors regular

Soreo

They never said that 3G was faster than Wi-Fi.

But 3G is very, very convenient when you don't have a wi-fi connection. Maps on iPhone is such a breeze with 3G comapred to EDGE.

4. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Soreo, I believe the poster is saying their new iPhone 3G performs better on WiFi than their original iPhone.

5. Soreo macrumors regular

Soreo

Ahh, I see.

6. scotty56 macrumors regular

It might be 2.0 doing this. Since installing, I immediately noticed what I thought was a boost in wi fi signal strength.

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I use my Wifi every day and love it as it is incredibly fast

Now, the 3G I use is not as fast but I didn't expect it to be that fast so not a biggie

8. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

It's amazing what can happen when a large, solid slab of aluminum isn't in the way of you and your router. While I preferred the aluminum, the switch to "plastic" (quoted due to speculation that it's actually some other, Apple-patented polymer) definitely makes sense.

9. spartan55 macrumors newbie

WiFi is very nice, I just checked mine and it's 4.65 Mbps and I checked my 3G earlier today and it was about 1.65 Mbps.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

That's probably what is making the difference. Plastic and wifi play much nicer than aluminum and wifi.

I have, however, noticed better cell reception on my 1st gen iPhone with AT&T since the 2.0 update, but my wifi reception is as good as ever.

11. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

3g

I agree that the wifi is much faster as well, but I think that the 3G in my area is so fast that I find myseld hardly ever using the wifi.

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

The various radios in the 3G benefit from better antenna placement:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/wireless.html

13. oclor macrumors regular

He wasn't referring to the 3G network, he was referring to the phone. I think what he's saying is that wifi is faster with this iPhone than wifi with the original iPhone.

14. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

No, no and no. He's saying reception of wireless (802.11b/g) signals is better with the iPhone 3G than with the original iPhone.

15. oclor macrumors regular

what's the difference?

16. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

The difference is that you could have an outstanding wireless signal but crappy speed (due to slow DSL or cable connected to your wireless router). Essentially, throughput is not the same thing as signal strength. However, poor signal strength can affect throughput.

The better antenna placement in the iPhone 3G leads to better signal reception which will lead to increased WiFi range, which is exactly what the OP is happy about.