WiFi n Airport Express vs Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drsox, Dec 10, 2011.

1. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Why does Airport Express give better WiFi n results than Airport Extreme ?
    I have an Airport Express with 802.11n only (5Ghz) and an Airport Extreme with 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g/n (limited range of settings options)

With the Extreme sometimes I get 300Mbps, sometimes I get 130Mbps, sometimes 54Mbps.
    And it changes every so often ! The location of the MBA is the same - 3ft away from the Extreme.

Then I added an Express unit, next to the Extreme. Connection rate : 300Mbps. Solid - no changes.

No-one else is accessing either unit

Anyone else see this ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no AirPort Express model that is 802.11n only. The current model is 802.11a/b/g and draft 802.11n.

3. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

Beg to differ !

The 4 options for a wireless network in all of my 3 Airport Express units are :
    1. 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible)
    2. 802.11n only (2.4Ghz)
    3. 802.11n (802.11a compatible)
    4. 802.11n only (5Ghz)

If I select option 4, I get the results I indicate.

Do you have an AEXpress ? What are your wireless options as listed ?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can select option 4, but the device is still a/b/g/n capable. The device is not restricted to n only. Perhaps you meant to say, "I have an Airport Express with the 802.11n only (5Ghz) option selected".

5. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

On the other hand the Extreme does not present the same 4 options (only 2) and seems more prevalent to switching (inefficiently) between bands and between rates. Therefore the apparent difference between Airport devices.

If I only have 5Ghz n devices, I want to be able to prevent the AExtreme from looking for other 802.11 options. I seems to be able to do this for the AExpress it seems.

6. BlackViper macrumors member

same revision?

The Airport base stations have gone through a number of updates while retaining the same form. Could be that you are comparing an older Extreme to a newer Express. Wifi signal is a funny thing, could the Express be in a better spot; even a couple feet can be significant depending on the surroundings. You didn't say if your Extreme was configured for 5Ghz, that band will likely have less interference from other devices.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you have any printers? If so, are they 5GHz? All the printers I've seen are 2.4.

8. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

Don't think so. The Extreme arrived from Apple 2 days ago with the designation : MD031Z/A. The Express units are 2 months old or less.

The only options in the config for the Extreme are :
    1. Automatic
    2. 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g/n
    3. 802.11a - 802.11b/g

I guess Automatic allows the unit to switch between 2 and 3. It is set to Automatic and seems to sit on option 2.

----------

No, my printer is on a wired LAN.
    The AE units are only for an iPad 2 and a new MBA. Both are 5Ghz n devices.

9. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

Just thought of another possible cause.

I'm also testing the Guest Network option on the Extreme as a prelude to using an iPhone 4S from Xmas onwards.
    However, no devices were connected to the Guest Network at the time of the results - merely that the option was enabled.

Is this enough to make the Extreme hop about wrt data rates and connect options ?

10. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Click the Option button at the same time you click on the menu drop-down and you'll see more choices.

11. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

WOW. I see them all - thanks.

I wonder what else hides within the OSX menus just waiting to spring out.