WiFi needs a boost

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ozman712, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Ozman712 macrumors member

Guys I need some advice. I need to extend my wifi so it reaches about an extra 200 yards or so. Currently the router is in the middle of the inside of the house. Would a high gain antenna on the router where it is now add the extra distance or would I need to get a wifi repeater that could be placed in the attic?

The reason is that I need to get a boost the the signal outside of the house.

Thanks,
    Oz

2. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

200 yards in one direction, or 200 yards in a circle? :) And do you have objects between your house and the 200 yards (buildings, trees, etc)? You could use an omnidirectional antenna to increase your WiFi reach (circular) and put it on the roof or an directional antenna and aim it at the 200 yards position. Both of these are almost always illegal as you increase the maximum allowed output (the antenna increases the output power). But who cares as I have never heard of people checking for that ;)

If I would try to increase my range I would probably use an accesspoint in my house (airport express?) and another accesspoint + omni directional antenna on my roof for outdoor reach. Something like this:

[​IMG]

But of course, it all depens on what you want exactly...

3. chipchen macrumors 6502

If you're going in one direction... look up how to set up a cantenna.