WiFi needs PRAM reset

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Beachguy, May 5, 2018.

1. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

2011 Mac Mini, base i5, upgrade to 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, wireless keyboard, macOS 10.3.4

I have a recently developed quirk in my Mini. On occasion, it will lose the connection to WiFi and show nothing in the dropdown. Usually it has 4 or 5 devices broadcasting that it sees. If I reboot, it also sees nothing. I have to reset the PRAM before it works right.

Any ideas as to why? The WiFi works fine once it is reset, but it has to be reset every time.

Many thanks!

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Just a wild guess here ... but possibly the little coin battery that supports the PRAM is dead?

3. for this macrumors regular

I'm not sure if my issue is like yours (mine is late 2012). I don't know the cause. but when that happens, turning wifi off and back on from the menu bar solves it.

4. Miat macrumors 6502a

Given it is a 2011 model, then replacing the PRAM battery would be my first step.

5. sean barry macrumors regular

sean barry

6. Miat macrumors 6502a

7. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I have tried but it doesn't seem to work.
    --- Post Merged, May 6, 2018 ---
    I would be curious about that, except it happens even when powered on- I can drop the WiFi contact and there is nothing that brings it back.

That said, it would likely be a good idea to replace that battery anyway, and since I didn't even know it had such a battery, I learned from your post! Of course, it COULD be a wony battery, so I will look at doing so.

8. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yeah ... it looks like it is the very common #2032 coin battery which is only $1-2 and easy to find. I just received this morning a pack of 6 for $6.88 from Amazon.

Getting to the battery appears to be a bit tricky however from the iFixit guide.

9. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

There's always a chance that you will break something else when you open it up to change the battery... ;)

10. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

you can do it..just take it slow..don't force anything..