Wifi networks need to be removed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by menizzi, Mar 15, 2017.

1. menizzi, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

menizzi macrumors newbie

I went into network settings and click the advance tab and removed all the networks but 1. How ever when you click the wifi symbol in the top right all those wifi networks are still showing up as it scans for networks. even if i have stop them from connecting i don't want to see them in the drop down.

I am a day trader and and I really need to remove them 100% from connecting and from showing any were on my mac.

I did google search but its not showing me how to remove them from the drop down wifi icon

OSX10.12.1

2. chabig macrumors 68040

If they're showing in the wifi menu extra, then they are active around your machine. It's like driving to a house down the street and seeing all of the neighboring houses along the way. You don't stop at the ones that aren't your destination. Don't connect to the networks you don't use. Their presence isn't causing you any harm. Day trading is irrelevant.

3. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

The dropdown menu is a list of available networks and always shows ALL networks that are discoverable around you. This doesn't mean the computer is connected to any of them, just that they are around and can be heard transmitting.

4. menizzi thread starter macrumors newbie

Its annoying. But if its not ever going to connect and I can't do anything about it then I am stuck with it.

5. chabig macrumors 68040

Why is it annoying? When you go to the theater to see a movie, are you annoyed because the marquee displays other movies? The wifi menu isn't even showing the network names unless you drop it down.

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Just don't click on the wifi symbol anymore.

7. menizzi thread starter macrumors newbie

Because they use offensive names so when you have kids/family over they have to look at it to get to your network. Plus I have OCD with it. But i can live with it.

8. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

That's up to your neighbors, then, for being rude and crude.

I wonder if you can remove the wifi icon from your menubar. Can you either opt-drag (or is it command-drag) the icon out? Or is there a setting in System Preferences?

Or are you talking about when kids & family come over with their own devices and have to see all the network names?

9. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

While neither are exactly what you are looking for, you could...

1. Use a wired connection and disable wireless (so no names at all will show unless you re-enable wireless)
    2. Go to Settings-->Network-->deselect "Show WiFi Status in menu bar"

10. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

Use the signal strength meter to locate the houses. Burn them down, and the neighbour on each side, just in case. Then leave a terse note asking them to pick SSID names more considerably next time.

It's the only way.

They'll never mess with a day trader again.