WiFi: No hardware installed

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Bleu87, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Bleu87 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've struggling with this issue for a few weeks now. What happens is that my WiFi sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't work it just says "WiFi: no hardware installed".

The problem started appearing after I reinstalled Lion (then upgrading to Mountain Lion) after installing an SSD. I've got all the latest updates, tried resetting WiFi settings, resetting NVRAM/PRAM, ... I've googled all kinds of possible solutions but nothing seems to fix it permanently. I'm almost certainly convinced it's a software issue since it worked before the reinstall and randomly works now and again (almost every 2-3 shutdowns it starts working again).

Any more suggestions?

I own a Macbook Pro 15" (late 2011).

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like a hardware issue, i.e., the wifi radio is failing. Take it into apple for repair/replacement.

3. Bleu87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it back for repair and they replaced the Airport card. It worked for about 2hours and now we are back to square one with a new card. Same error and no wifi.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

You should start taking some screen shots (command-shift-4) of the error messages you get. Save them into a folder and make a note of the date and time you got the error.

You may need to get the card replaced again. You'll want some documentation to back up your complaints -- thus, the screen captures above.

Does it have any kind of connection cable?
    Could it be a bad connection?
    Might be something wrong with the motherboard connection port.