WiFi no longer works..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AdamA9, Nov 28, 2011.

1. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Guys.

I have an issue with my iPhone 4 on 5.0.1 (non-jeailbreak). I recently updated to 5.0.1 and since then my iPhone no longer connects to my home WiFi. I can see the network, but I just get the timer against the name when I select it.

Now, I drove an hour down to the Apple store last week, they did a firmware install and reset the phone and sent me away. Told me to come back if any issues. So suffice it to say, this didn't work.

I went back in this weekend to be told I would have to buy a new handset. Despite me telling them all other devices (iMac, time capsule, iPhone, 2xiPads) worked on the connection, it was my WiFi causing the issue. I was shocked. This update has caused my phone to stop functioning, and they're telling me that I would have to pay to fix it (via a new phone).

I just want to get this sorted if I can whilst I carry out my complaint with them. Does anyone know what this issue could be, or how I could sort it out? It's really bugging me.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Two Obvious Things

Which you may have already tried.

1) Re-set your network settings on your phone (delete and re-enter wifi details too)

2) Re-boot your router

3. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, tried both of these. Reset the phone too. That didn't help.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sounds Like The Phone

To me....If re-setting everything fails then the only other thing I can suggest is a complete backup and restore of the phone.

5. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry that's what I meant. I completely restored the phone to new. That didn't work either.

I would think this was my own wifi causing it, if it wasn't for all the other devices connecting to the network okay.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Must Be The Phone

Can't be anything else....Any warranty left? Guess that's your only hope...Or Applecare if you have it

7. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Out of warranty and no Apple care.

Frustrating that they have caused this with their update, and refuse to do anything about it.

8. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

9. dotme macrumors 6502a

What happens if you take it to a friend's house, or a coffee shop, and hook up to a different WiFi network? Will it connect and surf?

If so, it's down to your home router. Don't rule out router problems because sometimes those little buggers can get corrupted too. If you can cleanly connect to other WiFi networks, I'd get a paper clip or whatever's needed to try a factory reset on your router.

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

DFU restore as new with a completely fresh install of 5.0.1. if that doesn't work, then you could try a firmware restore of your router, which will be a pain but might work. Also, make sure your router is configured to 802.11n in the 2.5 GHz spectrum and not the 5 GHz, as this would not work with your iPhone at all.

On another note, you could always configure your Time Capsule as an access point and just use that. Just remember to heed my warning about using the 2.5 GHz spectrum instead of the 5 GHz.

11. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

I would try someone elses router. I have this problem sometimes but I just click Forget Network and reconnect and it works fine.

12. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

When you took it in to the apple store I am assuming they connected to the stores wifi??