Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
If I have a Linksys Wireless G router, what do I need to get my Mac Pro talking to it? (I'm confused as to what the AirPort Extreme is, if not just an Apple brand router and do I need one?) Thanks in advance.

PS- if I do a lot of uploading and downloading of large media files (2GB+ zipped Pro Tools sessions and such) will I be unhappy with WiFi speed?

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009
Either hook it up with an ethernet cable or set up Airport. Airport is just Apple's name for the wireless card that's in the computer. If you decide to go wireless be sure to set up security (preferably WPA 2 Personal if your router supports it). WiFi currently supports 50 Mb AFAIK, so unless you are doing really huge inside the network file transfers, it will probably have more bandwidth than you need since 50 Mb is much faster than the majority of internet connections.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
It is a speed issue. A G will never be on a level of a simple CAT6 ethernet cable. So that is the preferred hook up for you to your router. Check your spec if the router has Gigabit (1000 Mbit/s) ethernet.

If you insist on going airways it is certainly possible but a lot slower. The realistic speed would probably be 20-25 Mbit/s. Compare to wire and make your choice.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
If I have a Linksys Wireless G router, what do I need to get my Mac Pro talking to it? (I'm confused as to what the AirPort Extreme is, if not just an Apple brand router and do I need one?) Thanks in advance.

System Preferences -> Network -> AirPort

You may have to configure it via the manuals directions before connection, if its brand new.

PS- if I do a lot of uploading and downloading of large media files (2GB+ zipped Pro Tools sessions and such) will I be unhappy with WiFi speed?

Depends. On your network, yes. From the internet, probably not.

AppleWorking

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
A G will never be on a level of a simple CAT6 ethernet cable.
I have a off topic question gugucom... Does it matter if CAT5 cables are used? I bought some CAT5 cables and I was wondering if going CAT6 would really make a difference? I'm currently on DSL. Thanks

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I have a off topic question gugucom... Does it matter if CAT5 cables are used? I bought some CAT5 cables and I was wondering if going CAT6 would really make a difference? I'm currently on DSL. Thanks

It is primarly an issue of both sides of the cable being on Gigabit. But long cables with lower quality can drop your transmission rate. Find out what applies to your case.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
System Preferences -> Network -> AirPort

You may have to configure it via the manuals directions before connection, if its brand new.

Depends. On your network, yes. From the internet, probably not.
So I couldn't find AirPort anywhere in system preferences. Do I have to own the "AirPort" hardware? I thought that was just the transmitting base. Do early 2008 Mac Pros have wifi built in?

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
So I couldn't find AirPort anywhere in system preferences. Do I have to own the "AirPort" hardware? I thought that was just the transmitting base. Do early 2008 Mac Pros have wifi built in?

Wifi or airport is basically a radio network compared to a network based on wires like ethernet.

Apple have always made airport an option for their desktops. That also applied to G5 Power Macs. So unless you have that option fitted you will not be able to find or use it.

For some MPs like the 2006 and 2007 it is a very cheap after sales option. You can buy the cards for 20$ on Hong Kong Ebay or a bit more in your country.

I believe that the 2008 had a different HW which was more expensive again.

If you want to know if you got airport look in profiler. You find it under the :apple: and about this Mac.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Wifi or airport is basically a radio network compared to a network based on wires like ethernet.

Apple have always made airport an option for their desktops. That also applied to G5 Power Macs. So unless you have that option fitted you will not be able to find or use it.

For some MPs like the 2006 and 2007 it is a very cheap after sales option. You can buy the cards for 20$ on Hong Kong Ebay or a bit more in your country.

I believe that the 2008 had a different HW which was more expensive again.

If you want to know if you got airport look in profiler. You find it under the :apple: and about this Mac.
Well I think I realize now that I MUST have at least the AirPort wireless "card" in a slot, which I didn't opt for when I bought the Mac Pro. Strangely, I can't find the card for sale on its own... only the AirPort "base" units. Where can I get the $50 AirPort WiFi card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.