WiFi not a good solution to Edge slowness??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Business Bob, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Business Bob macrumors newbie

As everyone knows, AT&T's Edge network is too slow to be used as an internet browser connection; and terribly slow for direct email connections that have any sort of attachment. The solution is hyped as the easily-available network of free WiFi connections that are supposedly ubiquitous. I have found, however, that open or free WiFi connections, once fairly common, are increasingly hard to find, as password protection has become almost universal. In airports, Starbucks, hotels in the US, Germany and Mexico, I have found almost all the WiFi connections to require a fee, typically $10-25 a session--more than makes sense for casual, or brief use. So, is WiFi really the answer to the Edge problem? Fewer and fewer free connections; many places with no public connection, fee or otherwise, available. The image of walking down the street logging onto one free connection after another is just not the real world. Do others feel that this is a threat to the whole iPhone model???

2. calvy macrumors 65816

It's been out now over 2 months and selling like mad. No, I don't think this is a huge problem for the iPhone. While there are times I wish I had a quicker connection, for the most part, I get what I need. Google maps moves plenty fast, and so does my email. I'm not often surfing the web with mine. If I could tether it to my laptop, I might want 3g. But from what I hear, 3g isn't all that impressive anyway.

In short, this topic is getting old. It's been beat to death why the iPhone doesn't have 3g. It doesn't have it, so get over it, and either buy without or wait for future models.

3. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

3G is a non-issue for well over 1 million buyers of the iPhone.

1. EDGE is plenty fast enough for the vast majority of iPhone applications.

2. Most people have WiFi at Home and Work where I think most people use it for things like YouTube. Even at home I use EDGE for what I use the phone for.

3. Except for Attachements I think EDGE is great for EMAIL. Ask all the BlackBerry Users.

4. Mobile Web Sites fly on EDGE in my experience. Why would you want to "always" use FULL WEB SITES that do not fit on your small screen. More and more Web Sites are being designed for Mobile Screens and some designed for the iPhone itself. Example: If you use the Google Calendar, check out the new Mobile Version thats shows all appointments from all of you Calendars with the proper color you have assigned for each calendar. Also, look at Movie Schedule Web Sites designed for Mobile. I could go on and on.

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I will also add that i dont think that EDGE is really that bad. Sometimes it can be slow, but i find that for the most part, it is fairly fast for me. I can load attatchments on my email, i even loaded the ipod touch PDF (like 68 pages) in 2 minutes over EDGE. Impressed i was.

5. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Don't feed the troll.

However I suggest Business Bob read this.

6. Business Bob thread starter macrumors newbie

who said anything about 3g?

So who said anything about 3g? This post simply raises a question as to whether WiFi is a viable solution for those many who complain about Edge slowness, when WiFi, except for a net in one's own home or office, is usually not available except at a significant fee. Stick to home or office--no problem. Just stay put.

7. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

You got a better solution than WiFi, because you have me confused?

Are you bummed at the iPhone for using wifi, or just ranting that people are actually starting to secure their wifi connections?

8. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Another way to frame this question is from the context that when Apple was developing the iPhone, there was considerable optimism in many urban centers that free wifi service would blanket large areas. However, many of these plans have hit major setbacks.

I don't think this is a major concern, but if the "wifi dream" of a few years ago had come to fruition, many of the negatives of Edge would be dismissed.

9. Business Bob thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed. The whole issue has to do with the paucity of WiFi nets once you are away from your home networks. If home and office is the only place an iPhone is used, then why not just use your laptop or desktop?

10. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I reject the premise of your argument.

Is it ideal? Perhaps not, but you reject it out of hand.

Now it may be too slow for you and that is fine, it's your choice to buy or not buy, comment on or not comment on.

The problem is when you state an opinion as a universal truth.

EDGE is just fine for some of us. That doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer a faster mobile network, but for being on the go it does just fine.

I use wifi around the house and at college and it's just fine. When I'm in the car I can practically stream music over seeqpod through EDGE onto my Alpine system (not quite, but it's close).

The problem is the expectation of speed.

If higher than EDGE speed is a requirement for you, then perhaps the iPhone is not the phone for you and you'd be better off with some sort of a 3G model from other companies.

11. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Thats the same dude that thought theres free unlimited data while he's in Mexico :D