WiFi Not connecting

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gadawg31, Sep 19, 2011.

1. gadawg31 macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3G 8GB and for the past few days it will not recognize my home wifi. Both of my kids iPods connect and my wifes iPhone 3g will connect, but not mine. I have checked and double checked the settings and I have even reset the network settings back to factory default and still nothing. Any ideas? Also, I have rebooted the phone several times and turned it off. THe software version is 4.2.1(8C148) and it also shows a wifi address. It is out of warranty, so if there is not a fix then so be it. Thanks.

gadawg

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Restore to the latest firmware available using iTunes, set up as new and try again.

Also, is your WiFi a G-network or N-network or A or B?

3. gadawg31 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is an "N" network. I am almost positive it is, but not 100%.

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

It won't work with the iPhone 3GS. In fact, it doesn't even work with the iPhone 4 :/ Your wireless router or access point might be able to support two modes, usually G and N simultaneously.

5. gadawg31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it does. I looked right after I sent the first message. I have a Netgear N600. It must be doing something right for my kids iPods and my wife iPhone to connect properly. Mine just keeps searching for known networks and will never connect. My wifes phone will connect right away.

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I would suggest then, if they are connecting to the G network, that you perform a software restore, and try again.

7. gadawg31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Roger that. I am backing up my phone now to save all my contacts and apps, and then I just simply restore to factory settings? I will be able to restore my phones contacts, calendars and apps after I perform this correct? I just don't want to lose anything on my phone, wifi is not that important.

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Yep, yep and yep :)

9. gadawg31 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. gadawg31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finished the restore and still nothing. I guess I can hook it up to iTunes each time I need to update something that requires wifi.

11. gadawg31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so far nothing I have done is getting this phone working. I have restored back to new settings and still nothing. Does anyone have any other suggestions? There has to be some reasonable answer for why it will not connect, yet everyone else's devices will conncet just fine. Help, somebody?

v/r
    JD

12. gadawg31 thread starter macrumors newbie

How does this sound? I was told that my wifi antenna may have gone bad. Is this possible? If so, what would it be worth to try and fix? Would it be cheaper just to replace the phone? Has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks

13. wiredup72 macrumors regular

wiredup72

I was told by a genius that my wifi antenna on my 3GS has failed also. I am good electronically and have very good soldering equipment, so I am going to try and pick up new antennas and replace them and also check everything on the logic board and re-flow any solder connections that look bad or broken (maybe from drops).
    I won't spend too much money. Hopefully I can fix it, but if I have to, I may need to buy a new one. Sucks.

Good luck with yours.