Wifi on and off on 2011 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by concernedone, Apr 3, 2012.

1. concernedone macrumors regular

concernedone

The wifi on my 2011 iMac (i5) is going on and off. The wifi on other devices are not affected.

Do I need to take it to Apple?

2. Bonut macrumors member

Have you always had this problem. When I first got my iMac mine was doing the same thing. I had to update my router firmware and it fixed the issue. I have a Linksys WRT54G.

3. concernedone thread starter macrumors regular

concernedone

I always had a minor wifi problem.. just it's slow to connect to wifi right after being out of sleep.

Now, the iMac is having trouble holding a constant connection, it seems. It keeps on connecting and disconnecting every few minutes. I updated the iMac.. I don't know what's the problem or I need to take it to Apple?

4. Bonut macrumors member

Maybe check your router firmware version and see if it needs to be updated, that seemed to fix my issue, but yours may not be the exact same issue.

or try right-clicking on the wifi icon at the top, chose turn off wifi, then chose turn on wifi. I've read that can fix minor connection problems when I was having the same issue.

Also if you haven't already, try unplugging the power to your router for a minute then plugging it back in.

Thats about all I can think of, I wouldn't take it to the Apple store until some more people reply here, maybe someone knows a fix.

5. alienfaceseat macrumors newbie

i had the same issue.. i even bought a new router.. but low and behold apple has a fix out for this..

download and thank me later =)

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1501

6. concernedone thread starter macrumors regular

concernedone

I tried that. Hmm... This wifi issue is not a constant or consistant problem. Now, it appears to be working. I wonder what caused the intermittent on/off wifi issue?

Thanks for the link! :) I always updated my computer to the latest firmware tho. But I don't know if this one is pushed out to all users. The on and off thing stopped, but I downloaded this firmware update anyways just for good measure.

This is what stomped me... I cannot tell this is a firmware issue, software issue or a hardware issue or a combination of those issues? Is there a tool that diagnose such problem?

7. PaulKemp, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Didn't want to start a new thread so here goes.

I'm experiencing disconnections with my iMac. No other device in the home is affected. I've also upgraded to latest firmware on my D-Link DIR-655, and I've applied the iMac WIFI FW upgrade from feb 2012. To fix it I have to choose 'disconnect' and then connect again.

I've included one screenshot of what happens when it's disconnected and when it's connected again.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If the signal is dropping and then coming back you may need to change the DNS settings, the ones you're using are probably your ISP's defaults. Please try:

1. System preferences
    2. Network
    3. Click Advanced
    4. Click DNS tab
    5. Click + sign
    6. Add 208.67.222.222
    7. Click + sign
    8. Add 208.67.220.220
    9. Click OK.
    10. Exit System Preferences

9. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

You normally get DNS from the router, how can DNS then affect the connection between the router and the device?