Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chanhopper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
Hey guys, my gf just got an iPhone 4 with the 200mb plan, and today she noticed that she has been using data, even though her phone has been on wifi the whole time. Do you guys know why this is happening? My understanding is that you shouldn't be using any data if your on wifi.

Thanks!

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Hey guys, my gf just got an iPhone 4 with the 200mb plan, and today she noticed that she has been using data, even though her phone has been on wifi the whole time. Do you guys know why this is happening? My understanding is that you shouldn't be using any data if your on wifi.

Thanks!

if you're on wifi properly, it shouldn't be using the data plan, unless you're on public wifi like at starbucks and you have a limit on public wifi.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Is it using a ton of data on the network? Or just small amounts? If its a lot, there may be a problem with the phone/settings. May need to do a reset.

It could also be a problem with the Wi-Fi network she's using, like for some reason its not actually connected but it says she is.

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009

Thanks!

Sounds like your gf has been visiting some places she isn't telling you about. This could be the beginning of the end.

chanhopper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
Hey guys, thanks for the responses, actually she's been using her home network, although her network at home is a little iffy at times. I mean maybe that is the reason but I can't really be sure unless I saw the phone for myself.

I know it shouldn't use data since I used wifi all the time on my 1st gen iPhone.

It could be her network at home, but that I would need to ask her about. Thanks for the advice!

Edit: also it's a small amount of data, like we're talking about like a mb of received and maybe a little more of sent. It's not like a huge deal atm but it's the principle of the thing

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Unless she has been 100% of the time in the house and with her phone on wifi, there'll always be some usage. Sounds like the phone has just been checking for mail when she's not in.

brdwygurl

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Hey guys, thanks for the responses, actually she's been using her home network, although her network at home is a little iffy at times. I mean maybe that is the reason but I can't really be sure unless I saw the phone for myself.

I know it shouldn't use data since I used wifi all the time on my 1st gen iPhone.

It could be her network at home, but that I would need to ask her about. Thanks for the advice!

Edit: also it's a small amount of data, like we're talking about like a mb of received and maybe a little more of sent. It's not like a huge deal atm but it's the principle of the thing

A couple of people have noticed this - I did when I was on the 200 plan and was trying to pay close attention to my usage. Even after a couple of days at home on wifi I had a small amount of usage. Not sure why, if it's a background app that only sends cellular data, or something with att server.

I found that if you turn off cellular data in the settings it stops it. Try that and see if that works

Komiksulo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Ontario
Texting will always go over the cellular network, even when WiFi is available, but it's sent as a different protocol and is not counted as part of data. I'm not sure about MMS though. Things like voicemail messages will use cellular data though.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Texting will always go over the cellular network, even when WiFi is available, but it's sent as a different protocol and is not counted as part of data. I'm not sure about MMS though. Things like voicemail messages will use cellular data though.

push notifications will use wifi if its available...

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008

Thanks!

Never mind the bollocks, here's a real answer: Not all data goes over wifi. Last time I checked, MMS still went over cellular data regardless of your wifi settings and certain diagnostic data goes over the cell connection, also. I'd imagine there are additional sources but you get the idea, I'm sure. You might note that there is a "Cellular Data" switch under Settings->General->Network. Turn that off and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.