Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cam3ron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Hey everyone,

I know this topic has been talked about again and again, but I can not seem to find a solution to this problem. My WiFi was working great, and up until a few months ago, it started to disconnect here and there. I even went so far as to re-install leopard because I thought it might've been the Airport update that messed things up...it wasn't.

Now, every time my connection drops, I go into Network settings, click Diagnostics, go through the procedure and then it will bring my connection back....or I will do the same with Assistant.

Does anyone have an answer for this problem, I mean I really like the Macbook, but how good is a computer if you can't even connect to the internet??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Have you updated to the most recent AirPort software? That would be the first step. Also, any new 2.4ghz cordless phones in the house? If it only happens with one network, try changing the channel the router is set to as well perhaps.

Nero9171

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
Eastern Shore, MD
How old is your router? How many antennas?

Does your Macbook have wireless N? If so, does your router support N?

How far are you from your router?

Also, make sure that your router is away from any CRT displays, fridges/freezers, cordless phones, microwaves. All of those will hurt your signal.

cam3ron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Thanks for the replies.

My router is probably just under 2 years old, 1 antenna. It's a D-Link. You must forgive me, I am knowledgeable about most computer operations and hardware, however that is not the case with routers. I do not know what N means. Im not too far from my router, probably could be closer, however we have an Xbox 360 running wireless in the basement and there is no problem with that at all.

It seems that this on/off connectivity with WiFi is a problem with Macs for some, and it's just really stressful. I used to run a Windows laptop from the same location as the Macbook, and never had a connection problem.

Nero9171

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
Eastern Shore, MD
Thanks for the replies.

My router is probably just under 2 years old, 1 antenna. It's a D-Link. You must forgive me, I am knowledgeable about most computer operations and hardware, however that is not the case with routers. I do not know what N means. Im not too far from my router, probably could be closer, however we have an Xbox 360 running wireless in the basement and there is no problem with that at all.

It seems that this on/off connectivity with WiFi is a problem with Macs for some, and it's just really stressful. I used to run a Windows laptop from the same location as the Macbook, and never had a connection problem.

Any public WiFi hotspots by you? Take your Macbook there and try it out, see if you have connection issues. If so, take it into Apple, because your wireless is more than likely messed up. If it works fine, then it sounds like your router is starting to die. I had the same issue with an old Belkin G+.

Oh, and wireless N (or N draft) is a newer wireless technology. When you have both a N router and notebook, you will get around 2x the range, and a lot faster speeds. When did you buy the Macbook?

mbleopard

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
I was having problems with my aluminum macbook disconnecting from my wireless every once in awhile. I found a program called iStumbler which detects all the wireless networks available and displays the channels they are transmitting on.

Try using that and changing the channel your router is broadcasting at to one that no other wireless network is using, that should get rid of any interference your encountering with other networks, which seems to cause the connection being dropped

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.