Wifi on when iPhone asleep?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by serialtoon, Jul 1, 2010.

1. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Do you guys know if the iPhone keeps the wifi connection alive or if it kills it and reverts to 3G when it is sleeping? Reason I ask is cause I wanna use pandora to stream from my phone while I sleep. Thanks!

2. St8kout macrumors regular

It automatically chooses wifi over 3g when it's available, such as when you come across a free wifi hotspot. You do however have to have wifi turned on under 'Settings.' And when you leave that hotspot it will seamlessly go back to 3G.

Or at least that is what the downloadable pdf manual says. (hint, hint) :)

If you are really paranoid about it you can turn off 3G and even Cellular Data under General settings. There's also Airplane mode, but then you won't be getting any phone calls until you turn it back on.

3. jdwebby macrumors newbie

When you Have a program that is using Wi-Fi and you put it to sleep it stays in Wi-Fi. I have noticed that the new Iphone 4 tends to keep it running even if you are not using any programs that require it. I think that is better since I use to have to wait about 15-30 seconds for my Wi-Fi to kick in on my old 3G

Hope this helps

4. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

In my experience of using my iPhone 4 for streaming, as long as you're not actually turning off the phone or whatever (and I know you're not saying you are), it'll keep playing basically forever. I sometimes put either Pandora or IHeartRadio on a stream and then put headphones on and zone out for extended naps, never had issues with it before. The display will shut off (and the phone is on a charger sometimes, mostly running off battery) but the audio stream is still there when I wake up, and yes that's using Wi-Fi as my 3G issues are pretty severe.

Shouldn't be an issue as long as the stream isn't killed off...

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I believe one of the features of iOS 4 is persistent WiFi, which (correct me if I'm wrong, affirm me if I'm right) means that when you're in a WiFi hotspot (like at home) that your iPhone has logged onto before, it will always stay connected to the WiFi, even when it's asleep.

6. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I know it says persistent wifi but when on wifi in my house and I lock my phone, when i just hit the home button to see the lockscreen, I see 3G for like a split second then it goes back to wifi. So is that really persistent wifi? It seems like it goes to 3G when asleep and when the phone is activated it swiftly goes to wifi.

7. St8kout macrumors regular

On page 161 of the manual it says:

"Turn Cellular Data on or off: Choose General > Network, then turn Cellular Data on or off.
    If Cellular Data is turned off, you won’t be able to access the Internet unless you join a Wi-Fi network. By default, Cellular Data is turned on."

So you can leave 3G on but it will only be used for phone calls.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I think that the icons sometimes don't work properly.

I've seen the icon indicate that the phone is using 3G, yet the cellular data usage meter in the Settings app hasn't changed - and this is with the phone doing things in Sleep mode like e-mail.

So it looks like the iPhone is using Wi-Fi, but for some reason the icon is wrong.

It might be a good idea to check your usage meter to see if you notice something similar.

9. myjay610 macrumors regular

If you started a streaming app on Wi-Fi and then put it to sleep, if it went back to 3G wouldn't you notice a slight pause in streaming since the phone would have to change networks and IP addresses? I haven't noticed that happening so I'm hoping it does stay in Wi-Fi when it goes to sleep...

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Usually a portion of the audio would be buffered, but network changes are usually unexpected so there could be some delay.

11. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

See i get that 3G icon when i wake it from sleep as well. Which is why im asking here for some clarification. I read that portion of the manual and i also remember steve jobs talking about it as one of the features of iOS4.