Wifi only iPad when tether to 3G modem

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nateo200, Aug 19, 2010.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I currently have a wifi only iPad tethered to my moto droid. (sitting in the car typing this up on it). Just wanted to make a thread on it because I think it's a great alternative to the 3G iPad. Somethings I noticed about it.
    -google maps is still pretty accurate even without GPS
    -while the data rates are fast latency is horrid at times, I've seen 5 second ping at times. Not too bad if your just browsing, using maps but if you their are online games forget it (I don't play any so nbd for me)
    -you can download things over your "wifi" that apple doesn't allow over 3G.
    -battery goes dead faster on iPad over the 3G hotspot

Works great if you guys have any questions feel free to ask! Loving this so far.

2. bossxii macrumors 68000

Been doing this since iPad launch day. Love it. JB iPhone + Mywi. 3G, 3GS and now the iPhone 4. Rather old news really but glad your enjoying it.

3. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Great to hear. I've been doing the same on my jailbroken iPhone. Sure beats paying for two dataplans.

How do you like your Droid, by the way? I've been sort of curious to try out an Android device. (It's OK, you can be honest.)

4. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Their are things about android and apple that I like and don't like. Android is wide open meaning apps can take advantage of damn near everything right out of the box, but it's very glitchy at times, if you enjoy messing with "nerdy" apps or like openess android is amazing. The iPhone on the other hand is a bit closed but apple does a good job of hiding it and making up for it with a polished OS that is more stable than Android, most normal users will not care about the things apple doesn't allow. Get the droid incredible though...(btw verizon needs to drop the "droid" name, stop plastering their name all over my phones like they own google and stop riding androids ass like they invented it).

5. Boricua macrumors newbie

Hello,

Just got a Wifi only 32gigs Ipad as a gift from my wife :D, can anyone let me know how to tether it to use my Droid as a modem? :confused:

Thanks