Wifi only or + LTE ipad 4

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Steveh2780, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Steveh2780 macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Hi, I'm looking to purchase an ipad 4 but can't decide between the wifi only or wifi + lte model.
    My iphone 5 has an unlimited data plan so i could tether but I also have a 3G/4G data plan that I use with an ipad 2.
    Ipad will occasionally be used while travelling. Ive heard that tethering can kill iphone battery fast? also how reliable is it, would it work tethered while travelling on a train for example?
    Also if i go wifi only i would buy the 64GB but if its LTE i would go for the 32 GB. So the question is do I go for wifi only or the LTE model?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated? Thanks

2. jpross123 macrumors member

jpross123

I used to have the iPad 3 with 3G, and I hardly used the 3G portion. How much are you going to use it outside of your home, or away from a wifi network?

I have a iPhone too, and I just look up stuff I need on my iPhone vs. paying to use internet on the iPad

3. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Hi, ipad will mainly be used at home but will be used occasionally on trains etc when I travel. Does tethering the iphone 5 drain the battery badly ( need use of phone on these occasions) Thanks for your reply

4. glen e macrumors 68030

yes but easily solved with a mophie batt pack - mine works perfectly for airports, trains, etc....google it

5. OldRhodie macrumors member

IMHO, having both wifi only & wifi + 3G I would deffo recommend getting the LTE. Tethering is fiddly & drop the connection. Pay a bit more for the convenience.

6. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Thanks for the replys.

I'm kind of swaying towards wifi + lte, purely for the convenience of having the lte option. Current 3G/4G contract doesn't run out until July 2013 so want to make use of that all the time I'm paying for it really. Will then use a pay as you go sim once it ends.
    Price wise wifi only is the better option but I got a good price for my ipad 2 so happy to add the extra cost.
    Thanks again guys

7. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

A little late with my reply. Just got back from a weeklong vacation, and tethering my iPad2 to my iPhone5 quite a bit (airport, hotel, even looking up places for dinner). Tethering does use more of the iPhone5 battery but I didn't have any issues totally killing it before the end of the day. Just my opinion...

8. kulimer macrumors 6502

Go with Wifi+LTE.

The map app (built-in default one) gives turn-by-turn directions like a GPS. You don't need to purchase data plan, just search the direction before you leave home.

I plugged my iPad into my car, iPad will tell me to turn when it comes to near. It even dims down the music I'm playing on the iPad.