Wifi only or with 4G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JPR, Mar 17, 2011.

1. JPR macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've got an iPhone 4 on the Verizon network, and I'm about to buy an iPhone2. Would it be advise able to get wifi only 'cause when Verizon has hotspot service I can just use my phone to get connected to the web with the iPad? So, why spend the $ for 3G on the iPad???? Please give me your thoughts.

2. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The only advantage I can see is that the wifi+3G comes with a bona-fide GPS chip that cam be used for NAV.

The wifi-only doesn't have it, although it can receive periodic location updates when tethered to an iPhone. (not good enough for NAV though.

I went with wifi-only since the only vehicle I drive with a dash big enough to use the iPad as a BA-PND is my Freightliner at work. (The wife ain't cool with me putting it in the truck) :(

3. rkahl macrumors 65816

If you get great reception on your iPhone 4 from where you plan on tethering go with the wifi only, but if you can't get the 3G. The 3G antenna on the iPad is much better than the 3G antenna on the iPhone 4.

4. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

There are also GPS units you can buy so the maps functions on the iPad work as if there was a built-in GPS. Two I know of on Amazon: "Bad Elf GPS" and "Dual Electronics XGPS150" . One plugs into the bottom of the iPad / iPod Touch. The other is a small bluetooth device that sends the GPS location to the iPhone over bluetooth. Both sell for $99 -- a little cheaper than the upcharge for the 3G iPad versions.