WIFI only what is your preferred connection?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by davidlw, Jun 17, 2011.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

For those that have WIFI only, how do you hook up to the net most of the time? I use a MIFI and iPhone Hot Spot in addition to home and Office. Where do you hook up most of the time?

2. Firen macrumors regular

Firen

At home with my normal home network, at University I use the university network & on the train and places I do not have WiFi available I tether my iPhone's 3G.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Either through my home wifi or tethering using PDAnet on my iPhone.

4. Dimmick macrumors member

Dimmick

Home WiFi when I'm at home. If I go out with it, it's typically to a place with free WiFi. If I travel, I have a work provided MiFi. The only reason I don't use the MiFi more is due to the data cap that we all share. We never really come close, but I don't want to put someone out late in the month when they are trying to do work because I decided to stream the entire series of Weeds.

5. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I very rarely take my iPad out of the house, so it's connected to my home network the entire time. When I go on vacation, I generally connect it to the hotel wi-fi.

6. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

So glad I have 3G. Totally worth it for me to not have to worry about hotspots.

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

So glad I have Wi-Fi only. Totally worth it for me not to worry about extra data charges.

My preferred connection is probably my house with my office being a close second. If I'm somewhere public like Starbucks, I use a VPN.

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

I have WiFI in most places I go (home, work, other). Occasionally I don't have access and tether to my phone with MyWi. I have the regular 2 GB plan on my secondary phone now so that I don't risk losing the unlimited plan on my primary line.

9. LanEvo macrumors 6502

I would like a 3G model, but the price difference really turns me off.

10. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

Ive wondered why apple dont offer free data plans with there iPads.

e.g. buy an iPad 3g and apple pay your data for for a year.

11. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Worry about what extra charges? it's flip on and flip off monthly? the added gps ability alone in th 3G version far outweighs just a wifi model IMO

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Is the iPad connected to wifi all the time when not charging?

13. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Most people have smartphone data plans already. If I had to choose between smartphone data plan and ipad data plan, phone makes more sense because you keep your phone with you everywhere, might as well just use it to tether..

14. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I have a 3G model, but I rarely have an active 3G data plan. When I don't have WiFi available, I tether to my iPhone 4 with MiWi using their On Demand feature. The iPad just automatically connects when it needs to - so convenient!

I find that I get by just fine with only the 250 MB iPhone data plan. (I usually have WiFi available.)

When I'm out of the country, I buy a local prepaid data SIM for the iPad and tether my iPhone and laptop to the iPad.

15. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Good thing I don't worry about it then. Happy to pay for the service.

16. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You're not seeing it, are you? The whole point is that you came into a "Wi-Fi only" titled thread just so you could gush about your love for 3G. Seems totally appropriate. :rolleyes:

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

You have to admit this is one of the more asinine threads around here. Really has nothing to do with the iPad. "How do you use the wifi connection??" It might as well be asking "what's your favorite ambient temperature when using the iPad?"

Oh, and the OP is using a hotspot, so he's obviously paying extra for a plan.

18. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Or he's just expressing his opinion on the 3G model, and it's benefits such as GPS or a internet everywhere connection w/ 3G....just sayin'

19. Mr.C macrumors 601

Same here.

20. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I do agree.

That was just a joke regarding paying for extra data.

In a thread titled "wi-fi only". Oh, and I removed the just sayin' from your quote as that saying needs to die in a fire.

EDIT* At least 3 people felt the same why I did. The post is sitting at -3. (Of course now it will probably go back positive. :) )

21. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I still dont get the big deal, he expressed his opinion in an open forum and open thread. Just sayin';):p

22. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Gushing about my love? I was just reading the thread and just thought "man, I'm glad I have 3G." So I posted.

That's it.

23. doboy macrumors 68000

And I've wondered why I don't get free gas with my car purchases.

24. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Gushing was a bit much. :) It's all good, man.

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I had a 3G model and in 3 months I never paid for the service. I sold it and we just have a wifi-only model now.

I can see the benefit of the 3G model for someone without an iPhone...but I can't ever see myself paying extra just so I can use Google Maps on my iPad instead of my iPhone.

I have a coworker who's thinking of getting an iPad to go with his dumbphone. I told him to get a 3G model. But for me it didn't make sense.