Wifi Only

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blehpunk, Sep 6, 2008.

1. blehpunk macrumors regular

I'm going out of the country for a few days and I want to use me iPhone on wifi, but no calls or edge to avoid fees. I'm just going to Canada from the US and I have the first gen. Is there anyway I can do this? I'm not jailbroken

2. voxnj macrumors regular

You can turn off Roaming, 3G and Edge and use only wifi (when and where it's available).

3. yessur macrumors newbie

Date roaming off but 3G/EDGE on?

I have the same basic question. I've chatted to AT&T Cust Svc twice and got two different answers. One said with Data Roaming off WiFi won't work, another said it would. My guess says if I turn Data Roaming off I think I'll still be able to use WiFi. What's not clear is what happens if I leave 3G/EDGE on. If a call comes in and I don't answer will I incur any charges? Also, with Data off I presume Visual VoiceMail will be inactive but callers can still leave messages and unless I call and manually retrieve (by calling my tel number, password etc.) I won't be charged. Comments?

4. blehpunk thread starter macrumors regular

i always have my data roaming off, and i can still use wifi and edge, at least in the country. i know that if your phone rings elsewhere, whether you pick it up or not, you are charged.

5. iVoid macrumors 65816

If you don't want to the use the phone at all, turn on Airplane mode then turn on wifi separately.

6. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

If you're running the 2.0 software you can turn on Airplane mode, then turn on WiFi. Then you will be left with a phone with the cell antenna and GPS turned off, but WiFi on.

7. yessur macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip about turning airplane mode on and then wifi on. Re being charged if a call comes in and I don't answer, is this still true if visual voicemail is off? How can charges be incurred if I don't answer? Inquiring mind wants to know.