WiFi or 3G 1 year later?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mhdena, Jun 8, 2011.

1. mhdena macrumors 6502

I'm about to get an Ipad 1 wifi, I have an iphone 4 unlimited.

For those of you who have had an iphone 4 and an ipad do you wish you had 3G if you don't?

If you have 3G (and not unlimited) do you find yourself using all your data?

Do you hardly use the data?

2. Surely Guest

Surely

I've never once said "Gee, I wish I had 3G on my iPad."

I had the iPad 1 since launch, and I've had the iPad 2 for around a month now.

3. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

I sold my wifi iPad after a month and bought the 3G version.

4. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I have absolutely no need for slow 3G (as compared to wifi).

Wifi does the job and it's available in my office, home, airports, starbucks, fedex office and just about everywhere else.

5. madat42 macrumors regular

Bought the 3G and it came in handy on a recent trip. I bought the $25 2GB plan and used just over a gig within that month. Since then, I haven't used 3G at all. If you can afford it, go for it because it's something you can't just add later. I'm also wary of free wifi spots since anyone can sniff non-encrypted traffic. Not a big deal to some, but it is to me.

6. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I respect your concern and share the same thoughts myself. Here's my take on it. When on the net, we are all subject to having our activities monitored, recorded and stored, resold, you name it. There is no security, or very little. That's a fact that is very real.

So the way I deal with it is easy, I simply don't do anything on the net that I would not want to have to face at a later date. 3G is no more secure that a public open WiFi spot.

Furthermore neither is your secured Home WiFi network. While it's more secure than an open unsecured network, the fact is that anyone that wants to obtain your data and browsing habits can. It's just a fact.

Even encryption can be overcome. RSA is no longer as secure as it once was nor are other forms. Believe me I have a very good long time friend who is very high up in the FBI, he was a college buddy of mine at MIT and we are both working in the field of computers today.

Far too many people have a false sense of security and will go to great lengths to argue that there is privacy and safety.

Too bad that's a thing of the past.

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I use and need 3G all the time.

There is no one answer b/c every person is different.

I do not have Wifi at work and I am someone who goes to different places during the day. I need a connection at all places and rarely can I access Wifi.

So, if you use the iPad just at work and have Wifi? Don't get 3G
    If you use the iPad often and do not have Wifi? Get 3G

I personally love having the ability to do what I want with a connection wherever I am but as people on this thread have stated, not everyone does (or they have Wifi access wherever they are)

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

It really boils down to how you use it. I have a daily train commute, we drive to visit relatives in another state with some regularity and have traveled to Europe and Mexico in the past year. None of those situations lend themselves to "free WiFi" (Europe especially - except for McDonald's there's very limited free WiFi access in most places). So 3G is an essential element of my iPad experience and I would never consider getting one without 3G access.

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Funny, I'm the opposite. I wouldnt be as functional with my iPad without 3G comes in handy for all my travels.

Where do you live that your 3G is so slow. On my iPad I regularly see speeds of 2mbs down in the So Cal area.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

*shrug* That's what my iP4 is for.:)

11. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

You have unlimited for that? I do....my iP4 though, since getting the iPad is relegated to all music streaming. I do the netflix and such on my iPad.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

Yeah, I have unlimited data on my iP4.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

That's fine if your travel is limited to the US, but for travel abroad it's a bit impractical.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

Agreed. I was only providing details on how i use my iDevices. Whatever works for others is fine by me.

15. cc1013 macrumors member

I also have unlimited data on my iPhone 4 and decided to go with the wifi iPad 2. I decided to jailbreak my iPhone 4 and install MyWi. That way I can tether the 3g connection from my iPhone to my iPad for those rare times that I 'need' 3g on my iPad. It's worked very well so far!

16. mhdena thread starter macrumors 6502

I ordered one of the closeout $399 64gb wifi ipads. I have unlimited on my iphone and plan to look into tethering also.