WiFi or 3G Internet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raziiq, Sep 7, 2008.

1. raziiq macrumors member

Hello
    i am new to iPhone. I just wanna know that how to make sure that using Safari or youtube on iPhone 3g that i am using WiFi not the providers 3G Internet?

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Why not 3G?

If you have a wifi icon in the top bar (directly right to the carrier name), then you are using Wifi, if it says 3G then you are on 3G, if it has an "E" then you are on EDGE.

3. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

There are rumors that even when supposedly connected to WiFi you may still end up using the 3G data connection. The reports are few but out there.

If you are want to ensure that you are not using the 3G data connection the only way to absolutely guarantee that is to turn on Airplane Mode and then re-enable WiFi.

There is no way to see for sure which you are using if the rumors and limited reports are correct.

4. raziiq thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies.

Infact while using the Internet on iPhone i noticed that Apple's FLOWER that shows the progress sometimes appears next to the WiFi icon while sometimes it appears next to the Time, i think it has something to do with WiFi and 3G.

Ofcourse if it is the icon then while on WiFi i always have WiFi icon at the top but still not sure if i m using 3G internet or not

5. milani macrumors 68000

milani

If you see the Wi-Fi icon then you're browsing via Wi-Fi and not 3G. If you see a blue box with 3G or E inside it, then you're browsing via 3G or Edge respectively.

[​IMG]

Just make sure you see that little Wi-Fi icon in the left hand side toward the center, and you'll know you're using Wi-Fi.

6. raziiq thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info but still in a confusion about that flower which sometimes appears next to Wifi and sometimes next to Time :confused:

7. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I'm not saying this shouldn't be the case, nor am I saying that it isn't the case. I have however read more than a couple of posts where people have claimed their iPhone 3G was actually using the cellular data connection and in some cases they were getting charged for using their cellular data when they claim to have been on WiFi.

I'm not saying I buy that but if the OP's concern is that they want to ensure they will not use their cellular data (GPRS, EDGE or 3G) they may want to use the Airplane Mode suggestion in my earlier post.

8. raziiq thread starter macrumors member

ya right but prob is that if you use Airplane mode then u cant receive the calls which is the main drawback of Airplane mode

9. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

There is the option to turn 3G off in the settings, and also something called Airplane mode, which allows you to turn off all mobile receptivity, so the iphone can be used as if it were an ipod, just picking up wifi.

If you leave everything on, it automatically switches between each service to provide the best connection, 3G shows up with a little 3G.

10. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

11. raziiq thread starter macrumors member

how youtube video will tell, as youtube videos can buffer using Wifi as well when u are having weak signals?

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

When you're on Wi-Fi you get high-quality YouTube.

When you're on EDGE or 3G you get low-quality YouTube.

There's no way around that. The YouTube app looks at the current connection and gives you the proper video. Thus, if you see a low-quality video, you're using a cellular connection. If it's sharp, you're on Wi-Fi.

13. raziiq thread starter macrumors member

alright i ll check and let you people know about it.

But please tell me if anybody else has some info on this issue

14. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

The "flower" just means the iphone is loading the page, it also happens when opening up certain applications.

15. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I had the problem of my phone grabbing data and running out my prepaid calling cards when I was in Thailand. Putting your phone in airplane mode is certainly one way of dealing with it but you are unable to make calls.

The solution I used was to enter a false carrier into the APN in network settings.

16. raziiq thread starter macrumors member

what do you mean by entering a false carrier and is it a good solution to this problem?