Wifi or 3G iPad? Which one will you get?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by melman101, Jan 30, 2010.

?

Which iPad will you get? 3G or Wifi

1. Wifi Only

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. 3G + Wifi

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. None! Leave me alone already ;-).

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melman101 macrumors 68030

So, I'm just curious what your guys thoughts on the Wifi iPad vs. the 3G iPad. Is it worth waiting for the 3G iPad? I kind of am jonesing for it bad, and don't think I can hold out an extra 30 days. LOL! Plus, I have a trip that fits right in between the release of the Wifi iPad and the 3G iPad. What ever shall I do? I can see myself never using the 3G feature, except maybe once or twice and then kicking myself in the ass for not getting it. Not sure what to do. Mostly, it's going to be used at home, or at work where there is a Wifi signal.

Also, I have an iPhone. When do you think AT&T will release tethering? Cause if they do that, then there is no need for a 3G iPad? I could just tether them if I needed to, correct?

What are your guys thoughts? After watching the keynote for the first time last now, I am now super jonesing for this thing.

Have a great day everyone!

2. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

you should just get the wifi because 1. you already have an iPhone so there's no real need to pay for another data plan. and 2. you said it will mostly be used at home (assuming you have wifi there) and work which does have wifi. in the end you would save some money with the wifi model and no data plan, and you won't have to wait another 30 days.

EDIT: as for ME, i'm not getting the iPad. my mom might get the 2nd gen whenver that comes out. and for the record i didn't vote in the poll.

3. donster28 macrumors 68000

If Apple will allow 'tethering' of the iPad to my iPhone, and until this is tested here in Toronto at least, I will just fork for the wifi version.

If not, i'd go with the 3G simply because, I do not want to limit my experience with the iPad. I commute everyday to places with no wifi access and it will be a handy feature to have. I've experienced it with my iPhone and I'm glad I have a 6 gig data plan from Rogers which I use to tether my MBP 13" to.

4. speed12 macrumors regular

Wifi only and a MiFi modem (is that the right term to use?...) from 3 (UK).

I have an iPhone so that will take care of most mobile data needs, but if I'd like to use either the iPad or my MacBook when out and about then MiFi is easily the best plan as it can be used for both and on 3's Pay as you go, you pay for an allowance but with no time limit....once its used up you buy some more. PERFECT for sporadic mobile data use.

Job.

Done.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I know I want the 3g -- be good to have the connectivity in a pinch -- but (1) I'm not sure I can justify the extra cost, and (2) I don't want to wait an extra month to use my iPad! So, totally undecided at the moment. You didn't have that option in your poll. :(

6. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm thinking I'm going to get the Wifi only one, cause hopefully by the time I do need 3G on it, I will be able to tether with iPhone ;-).

7. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

I am thinking the same as you, but there are some unanswered questions. For instance, at&t will give us free hotspot Wifi, but under what conditions?

Currently, iPhone customers under at&t have free hotspot Wifi, if we get the iPad will we also be able to access the free Wifi with our iPads?

Or perhaps free hotspot Wifi available for all iPad owners?

If a "yes" to either of the above, then I wouldn't get the 3G version because 3G seems slow to me, and 3G available is relatively limited with at&t. Besides, it's an extra $130! For the extra $130 I am "almost" at the 64GB version.

If "no" to both of the above, then it's going to be difficult finding free Wifi out and about, and a hassle to buy Wifi ... entering credit card (besides being expensive especially in hotels). In contrast, buying 3G access for a month seemed easy, according to the keynote, perhaps just clicking something in the iTunes store??

So when out and about with free Wifi available, I'd walked to i.e. Starbucks to surf. With no free Wifi, then I'd have to pay to surf, might as well opt for convenience even though 3G is relatively slow.

In any case, why is 3G an extra $130? Why not something reasonable like $50. Is installing 3G that expensive??

Europe and Asia have 4G, and I think it's as fast as Wifi, why isn't a 4G version available for them?

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I was thinking wifi only but since there's no contract I may opt for 3G if only to give myself an option if I'm stuck someplace needing 'net. I could call at&t, activate for a month and shut it down again afterwards. I suppose they could charge activation or re-activation fees. I need to know that detail before I make my decision but I think it would be cool to have always on 'net on this thing. With backtomymac, it would be like never being really cut off from my computer.

9. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Im having the same dilema. I have a Droid that has data so I really dont need it and AT&T doesnt ever work so I think Im going for the wifi only version. But if the costed the same then I probably would have signed up for the $15 a month plan.

10. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

If they allow tethering from your iPhone to your iPad, I would be ecstatic. I'm getting WiFi because I already pay quite a bit for my iPhone plan. 3G would be nice, though. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.