WiFi or 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Feb 18, 2011.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

There's been alot of discussion about 3G coverage. Went to Apple store today and asked a genius about the iPhone. Then asked him what network he recommended. He said personally he uses wifi the majority of the time.

This got me to realize that I use wifi the majority of the time and really 3G is only relevant not often.

A co worker realized this too. He has 4 iPhones and since all iPhones use wifi most of the time he downgraded all lines from the unltd to the $15.

2. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'm sure a lot of use wifi quite a bit. I'm on it probably 75% of time but generally when I'm on wifi I also have access to me laptop. When I'm out doing things and not near wifi I need my connection to be fast as well as those task are generally more important and time critical.

4. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

It was suppose to be a poll I messed up, sorry.

5. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

I would say I use wifi about 75% too. I'm at work and there's wifi all over.

6. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

exactly. you can depend on wifi though when you're running errands or what have you and I want the connection in that case to be as reliable as possible.

7. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Ah.

Wifi - 75%
    3G - 25%

8. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

How much have you poured into that blu ray collection? Please say over 2500.

9. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

No idea honestly, don't keep track. A few thousand I'm sure. Why?

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I love to use wifi. I use it every chance I get.

...but that pretty much only means the times I'm at home.

I'd love to use it more but it's not like I spend all day sitting in McDonalds.

11. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Your McDonalds has wifi?

12. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

That's crazy. I have like 15 of those things and even those I could live without. I racked up a huge collection of DVD's a few years ago but it doesn't even compare to your collection of blu ray. Why don't you just rent them instead of buying so many?

13. svenn macrumors 6502

I'm on wifi most of the time as well, but when I'm out and about, it's nice to have 3g available. I'm not sure what the question is here, but I'm glad I still have unlimited data to use when I need it.

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Its extremely rare when I use 3G. I have wifi at home, and also all over work (I set up about 5 WAP through out the building). And I've setup a wireless router for my wife where she works. So its not often when we're out of wifi range. Only if we're driving and need something while we're out.
    So I'd say:

wifi 99%
    3G 1%

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not all of them but, yeah, many of them do.

16. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I guess the ones in my town blow or I haven't eaten at one in a long time. Its probably been awhile since I actually ate at the restaurant. I usually just hit the drive through but maybe I should check to see if there's wifi next time.

17. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I love movies. I did learn from my DVD collecting days though. I am not buying crap movies (subjective) and only buy ones that I will watch again and again. I am starting to slow down more and more though. Getting pickier!

Nothing compares the the site and sound of blu-ray. It's simply AMAZING! :D

18. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

For now. ;)

19. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I agree. Blu ray is amazing but buying $25 dollar movies is a good way to go broke. I only buy ones that I know I'll watch again. I did learn a good trick this year though. I'll do in a larger volume this holiday. On black friday pick up a few copies of $10 blu rays that are pretty new off of amazon. Then as new movies get released at walmart they are sold for $20 for one week. Use your $10 movie to get a $20 movie. It's a simple exchange and walmart doesn't care.

20. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I never used wi-fi on my Android phone, but I use it all the time with my iPhone. Every time I'm out of a wi-fi zone and I have to use 3G, I get irritated at how freaking slow it is. It made me realize how unbelievably slow Verizon's 3G is, which I never really noticed before.

21. JohnBossu macrumors member

When at home I will use the wifi all the time as its significantly faster and I got really bad 3G signal around my neighborhood. However at any other place in the city my 3G signal is great but still, my plan including free wifi at any Tmobile hotspot area so if Im on one of those spots I will certainly choose to use wifi.

22. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Personally I use 3G heaps, most of the day I am outside of areas i can access free wifi so I rely on 3G to check my emails, browse the web, read news etc.

I have a nice fast 3G network in my city about 6.0mbs down, 3.0mbs up so 3G is faster then most public WiFi.

23. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

I use 3g. I primarily use my phone at work and there is no wifi available.

24. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

Like most of you, I also use wifi 95% of the time, but there are instances where I don't have wifi coverage so my only choice is 3g. Good thing that almost everywhere here has 3g coverage.

25. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Same here, plus I have an unlimited data plan so I can only see using wifi when I am abroad.