Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisiw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Isle of Wight UK
Hi all
Can someone please help me with this question, I may be getting a iPad with 3G, but do not understand this.

1 When at home and within my wifi range does it default to my own wifi, also when out and about say im in a coffee shop with wifi, as I would not want it to use my 3G allowance.
2 If out of range of any WiFi does it then default to 3G.

Thanks
Chris

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yes, the 3G model defaults to WiFi when available, similar to an iPhone. You can also turn off the 3G radio if concerned or, alternatively, turn off the WiFi if you have a weak signal and want to force 3G on.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
Hi all
Can someone please help me with this question, I may be getting a iPad with 3G, but do not understand this.

1 When at home and within my wifi range does it default to my own wifi, also when out and about say im in a coffee shop with wifi, as I would not want it to use my 3G allowance.
2 If out of range of any WiFi does it then default to 3G.

Thanks
Chris

1.Yes it will automatically connect to and use your homes wifi, if you are out and about it will automatically connect to any open wifi connections

2. Yes it will automatically start to use your 3G connection

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.