Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I know this has been discussed before, but here I'm interested in a single angle: the resale.

Basically, I have a feeling I will sell the iPad and upgrade next year when they refresh it. I might be wrong, but I have a feeling they will add a front-facing camera at that time. I will definitely get a WiFi + 3G (or 4G or whatever) at that time.

But for now, I don't *really* need 3G, even though it will be nice in some circumstances. However, when it comes to reselling it and buying the new iPad, which will be the best route to go? Save money and get the WiFi then sell it? Or would the WiFi + 3G keep value better than the WiFi one does?

Thoughts?

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I've found that it's typically better for resale to have all of the options, be it a car, computer, or anything else.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Doesn't really matter as it's all relative to the price. If you lose say 25% in one year, doesn't matter if you spend 500 or 630, the depreciation percentage is what it is. If you don't need 3G, paying the additional 130 bucks isn't probably going to be any more appealing to someone in a year as it is now. I think more will go for the Wifi only due to price alone. It's not like it's difficult to hook up 3g to a wifi iPad via tethering or from Mifi devices. I don't see it as a factor come resale time.

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
I'm going to get the 3G model for my wife solely for the occasional vacation we take. Since the the 3G service can be bought month by month, i'd prefer to have the option.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Doesn't really matter as it's all relative to the price. If you lose say 25% in one year, doesn't matter if you spend 500 or 630, the depreciation percentage is what it is. If you don't need 3G, paying the additional 130 bucks isn't probably going to be any more appealing to someone in a year as it is now. I think more will go for the Wifi only due to price alone. It's not like it's difficult to hook up 3g to a wifi iPad via tethering or from Mifi devices. I don't see it as a factor come resale time.

Not necessarily true. If by this time next year everyone wants the WiFi + 3G, but hardly anyone wants the WiFi, then the WiFi could conceivably drop in value to say, $300, while the WiFi + 3G drops to, say, $500. Upon selling them, I would lose $200 for the WiFi, and lose $150 for the WiFi + 3G.

This is all speculation, which is why I'm asking for opinions. But the fact is, things don't depreciate at the same rate across the lineup.

i am going to get the wifi then return it for the 3g

*facepalm*

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Not necessarily true. If by this time next year everyone wants the WiFi + 3G, but hardly anyone wants the WiFi, then the WiFi could conceivably drop in value to say, $300, while the WiFi + 3G drops to, say, $500. Upon selling them, I would lose $200 for the WiFi, and lose $150 for the WiFi + 3G.

This is all speculation, which is why I'm asking for opinions. But the fact is, things don't depreciate at the same rate across the lineup.

*facepalm*

I don't agree that 3G will hold it's value better than the wifi only. There are a couple reasons for this, but mainly because this version lacks the feature that I think would make the 3G + GPS highly attractive 1 year from now. This missing item is the camera -- and rear facing one at that.

If this thing had a rear facing camera, 3G, and a GPS, it could be used as an amazing augmented reality device. Since these apps would just be really getting cranked up 12 months from now, the 3G version would be holding it's value nicely.

However, we have no camera. This means no augmented reality apps coming online in the coming year. This means the same percentage of people that would buy it new for wifi use only (like me) are going to want to buy it a year from now used. The percentage of 3G vs wifi only people won't change considerably. Therefore the depreciation of the device should be the same across both versions.... which of course the depreciation is starting at different price points....

So:

$829 3G ----->depreciated one year-----> $629 (guesstimate)
$699 wifi ---->depreciated one year-----> $499 (guesstimate)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.