General WiFi password not working

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by jjk454ss, Sep 29, 2018.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Starting yesterday, my iPhone and iPad both on iOS 12 keep telling me I have an incorrect Wi-Fi password. The password works on all my other devices including my Mac. I reset the router, and it still tells me it’s an incorrect Wi-Fi password when I know it is not. I didn’t see anything about this issue, any ideas?

It was working OK, it’s seem to stop working after I reset network settings on both devices to try to fix an issue with messages

2. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

3. Tsepz macrumors 68020

Tsepz

This is an issue I had on both my iPads and my mother's iPhone X. It fixed itself once I got close to the WiFi router. It seems to happen when connecting for the first time after the iOS12 update, after that it's fine.

I wonder if it may be due to it just not picking up some bits of data when you are further away.

4. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

There could be something to that, but mine does it randomly. I have slow Internet, but good Wifi signal. It's saying incorrect password again right now. This is by far the worst experience I've had with a new iPhone/version of iOS. So many issues

5. phil1995, Feb 10, 2019 at 5:06 AM
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 5:11 AM

phil1995 macrumors member

I recently had this issue with my iPad. I rebooted the router, reset network settings, even wiped the iPad clean and started over and none of that helped. Strange thing was, I could keep hitting join over and over with the same password, and it would finally join. So I knew it was not actually the password.

I dug in my router a little deeper, and found that I had 2.4 and 5ghz with ssid and password the same. I changed the ssid and password for the 5ghz and poof, the problem went away.

Seems that it was somehow jumping back and forth and getting confused. Not sure why, but it solved the issue for me.