wifi password trouble

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cheekybobcat, Jan 6, 2008.

1. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I was at my friends house last might and I tried to get on his wifi network. He told me the password and it was dylan1 but it wouldn't even let me click the join button. The password is right because he went off the network and went back in by putting in dylan1. Why won't it let me even press the join button when I type that in?

2. duve macrumors newbie

wifi

Probably because the password will only work on his computer. You will probably have to go to the original set up for his wireless router to see if it encrypted. Then you will have to put in the encryption key to your itouch to access the wifi.

3. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

MAC address filtering maybe?

I use that on mine, you might need to add yourself to the list of wifi clients.

BTW that's not the same as Mac(as in macintosh), it will look like "XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX"

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm with iJawn, MAC addy filtering. But on that note, will the iPhone be able to use WPA security or just WEP?

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Will? Hmm, when I look at my iPhone it lists: WEP, WPA, and WPA2.

6. ridli macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, when I was visiting my folks, I could not connect to their wifi by using the WPA passphrase. I had to actually enter in the hex key to connect.

This struck my as very odd, since I don't have this problem with other networks (especially not my airport). If it matters, they use a Netgear router. So I'd recommend asking for the actual ugly hex key and try entering that when it prompts you for the password.