Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liveccam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed a lack of sensitivity and inablility to connect to some wifi hotspots after ugrading to 3.0. I have a 2G Ipod Touch and use it alot in a work environment with multiple access points spread over a large area. Immediately following the upgrade I noticed that I was no longer able to connect to several "marginal" access points. results with those access points had been consistantly good over a period of time. So, it appearsthat the wifi radio may have been tweaked in the new firmware version. I'm considering a downgrade to 2.1 just to test this theory if indeed that is possible. Has anyone else had a similiar experience?

MomoRacer

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2008
Yep, lots of people on this forum have been experiencing this, me included. Somewhere is a 3.0 bug list that has the fixes for some of these issues. I am working on trying them at this minute.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I've also noticed that my WiFi signal strength has been "weakened" by 3.0. When I go upstairs in my house (router is downstairs), the signal bars go down to two or one bars.

Before 3.0, I had full strength all the time.

Jostian

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
I havent experienced a weaker signal but more like a glitch in the ipod picking up on signals...I try connect and it picks up nothing (even thoughthe signal is strong), I then turn wifi off & then on again and all of a sudden it picks up the signal full strength...so yes, a bit buggy this OS is, and of course the big bug in Safari whereby it doesn't differentiate between video and audio files!! try playing/downloading a MP3, it tries to download/play it as a movie?? and the device hangs!! not cool...

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
Although I'm in the wrong forum, I can confirm that two 2g iphones I updated last week have much weaker wifi reception and random dropouts. Also they seem to be slower at recovering to full bars, even when standing right next to my AEBS, but eventually do. Very odd.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I didn't realize until just today that I'm having the same problem. I didn't know that many people were experiencing the same thing. My second gen iPod Touch is just not holding on to the signal quite like it used to. Not to mention that my favorite app, WiFinder, doesn't work with 3.0, it could find networks a block away as well as hidden ones too. I'm loving 3.0 but still kinda bummed about the rest.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
we just upgraded our 2nd gen to 3.0 in work and all of a sudden it cant connect to the company wifi at all. the 1st gen does instantly, but the 3.0 o.s. 2nd gen wont (it used to in 2.1.1).
it recognises the compay wi-fi splash page, but cant go further than that. the log-in menus just hang and wont activate.

any idea?

liveccam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
So I'm not imagining this

Its good to know others are having the same issues. In addition to not being able to connect to formerly accessable access points there are some that won't connect even with good signals. At work we do alot of work with manufacturers new equipment. We've become something of a beta test site for products that aren't quite ready for primetime. I didn't expect that was going to be the case with an Apple product but apparently it is. Is it possible to downgrade to 2.1?

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Just a note: I too was having serious speed issues, right down to page not found/server time outs, and disconnecting wifi. I throttled my N network from 300mbps down to 150, and now it works perfectly. Obviously the touch is only G and thus was only attaching at 54 anyway, but for some reason this helped. N is still on and effective for my MBP and my Windows based DVR/media box.

g2tegg

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
I didn't really notice a decrease in performance once I did the upgrade. I did notice the signal level bar to be more sensitive and accurate. Before the upgrade to 3.0 the signal bar was either full, or 1 bar. I can't recall ever seeing it at the second bar like what it's doing now. Or maybe i'm just seeing things lol. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.