Wifi Piggybacking, a legal reason for Cellular

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bheleu, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Did you know it is illegal to use a neighbor's open wifi or to use wifi that is for a business's customers (if you are not a customer)? People have been arrested for the above. It is unauthorized (without permission) access into a computer network. I read some old news on it last night when I did a search on it. There are some stiff penalties out there. Before you join an open network somewhere, you need to go ask permission first. One guy who pulled up to a hotspot that was in his car, was arrested when an officer asked what he was doing, and without knowing it was illegal was arrested. Even the shop owner who had the hotspot did not know it was illegal. Read up and do a search, you will be shocked. Many ISP providers have it in the contract that wireless access is only for inside the buisiness or residence, ie. customer's only. The other law is theft of service. Definitely cheaper to buy that cup of Joe, than some of the fines and hours of public service.

Does not affect me, just spreading the knowledge.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I heard that story about the car pulling up in front of the coffee shop, but the practice of arresting people using open networks is hardly widespread.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Not exactly a major issue in America these days. One very strange case. I think this guy needed a better lawyer. And the town cops need to find something better to do with their time and resources.

As to anyone here really worried about this....we got bigger worries.

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

with their time and the tax payers resources

makes me sick. i constantly see cops harassing homeless people here in austin tx, when there is violence,drugs,prostitution etc openly going on, on the east side.