WiFi Portal Software for Mac??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Maestro88, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Maestro88 macrumors newbie

Is there anything that will run on a mac (as is possible with several windows solutions) that will act as a web portal and provide a dynamic radius database to an airport extreme base station whereby I can create usernames and passwords, expiration dates, and bandwidth limits and see who is on and what network traffic they are causing.

It seems easy on windows! come on!! I've been searching google for days - nothing for mac osx. Somebody suggested to me a proprietary router - but I am sure that is not necessary at all.

Anyone?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's not the simplest, most powerful, or most intuitive system in the world, but Apple's Airport Utility (Macintosh HD->Applications->Utilities) should be able to do most of what you want, but I don't think you can set bandwidth limits with it.
    You can see the IP addresses of the wireless clients, their usage, you can set times that specific clients are allowed to access the server, etc.

3. Maestro88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah this is not the sort of straight forward (relatively) "front desk" type scenario I'm looking for. You also need to get the mac address from the client, and that's more work looking on the bottom of the machine, under the battery casing, or in software - most of them use windows... I won't even try. With a web portal, they only get access to their own ip address once they log in, and I can't believe there isn't some kind of simple set up. You should even need to have the machine on the gateway, it should be abel to reside anywhere on the network and just provide radius data to the router, and it controls that distributed radius data within it's own database, redistributing / updating as necessary. Somebody needs to get booted off - it removes them from the database being sent to the router? Well, I'm not expert, but that's crudely how I would imagine it would be possible.

Thanks for your reply.