WiFi Preferred Connection Order

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ryannazaretian, Sep 8, 2010.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Not sure how to really title this one. I tried Googling it, and I think it's probably something really simple, but I can't figure out how to do it.

So on OSX and Windows, you can change the preferred order to connect to, so if you want to automatically connect to the router in your dorm rather than the router 200ft down the hall way from you, you can.

Here's my situation. I'm in a dorm using my campus's msu1x (just the name, don't worry about it) connection. The router for the whole hallway is pretty crowded. I only get 2/3 bars on my iPhone. (You can imagine 40 people using one wireless access point).

Well, my MacBook Pro can't even pick up the signal, so I have my own router in my room, appropriately named 'MyAP' with the SSID hidden and password protected with WPA2 Personal.

Well my iPhone 4 still connects to the 2/3 bars msu1x network rather than the 3/3 bar MyAP network. I've connected to it properly and it works fine as long as I don't put the phone into standby. As soon as I do, it goes back to msu1x and no connection.

So how do I fix this? Surely there is a way to do this, right?

2. Resist macrumors 68030

In settings, wifi, under the msu1x network, did you click Forget this Network to remove it? Then connect to your MyAP network. After doing this your iPhone should always to connect to MyAP but still show msu1x under Choose a Network.

3. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

That would work, but that's not the solution I'm looking for.

MSU has campus wide WiFi. Most places it's great... in the corner room of the basement where I'm staying, it is not.

I'd like to use WiFi everywhere else on campus to keep my data usage down, but would like to use 'MyAP' when I'm in my room.

There really has to be a way to change the order, right?

4. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I hate to say this, but that's really stupid of Apple not to include this.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not on my top 10 list but cool feature to add in a future update:)

6. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Well I provided feedback to Apple. Maybe my voice will be heard.