WiFi Printing+iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by e34guy, May 15, 2011.

1. e34guy macrumors member

I'm trying to set up wireless printing on my iPad but my iPad can't find the printer. I have the HP 4780 (it's the printer I got with my MBP) I have wireless printing set up on my MBP and it works perfectly. My printer is not connected to anything (i.e. another Mac, wireless router) in short how do I set up the wireless printing?

2. ninerfan macrumors regular

I have the same printer you do, so have the same question. I think our printers aren't equipped with Air Print to operate with the iPad 2.

See this link for info: http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/airprint.html

As an aside, that HP Envy printer looks just awesome. Too bad my 4780 is working so flawlessly :)

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

As mentioned, your printer doesn't natively support AirPrint. You can either install an app like Printopia or install this app on your Mac (my preferred method, FWIW) and you'll be able to print from your iDevice to any printer on your network that you Mac can print to.

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I use Printopia and it works for what I need it but tbayrgs' other option Airprintactivator looks like it does the same thing for less $.

5. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

There's a free 'hack' for both Win and Mac to allow AirPrint to otherwise unsupported devices. In my experience, the Mac version works very well whilst the Windows one has issues. Then again, Windows always has issues.

If you're looking to get a new printer anyway, go for one of the HP line that supports AirPrint natively. I don't recommend Printopia, TruPrint, et al. they are way overpriced for functionality that should be default.

6. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Apple really needs to get their thumbs out of their asses & give us real printing capabilities. I'm sure there is a way to do it without building every driver into the OS. Maybe you load the individual driver to the iPad from iTunes or something, but to have a device that can do it all...except print to any printer...that seems a bit foolish.