Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
well thinking about getting a wireless router.

hooking it up to the pc and i will be reciving the signal from my macbook pro.

is it possible for the pc where the router is connected to know/view/monitor what im doing on my MBP???

because i look at alotta "SITES" :p

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Well it depends on what router you are getting. If it's just the basic one then no, but also remember that there is software out there that can track your sites.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
If you're on the same network with other computers (wireless or not, it's irrelevant), it is possible for remote connections to be made to your computer assuming:

a: you have ARD or VNC access enabled (which would allow viewing of your screen)
b: You have filesharing set up (which allows others access to your files)
c: You give your password to all and sundry.

Your computer can be as secure as you want to make it - it's down to how you configure it. The only thing you don't have control of (unless you have admin control of it) is the logging facility - if it exists, not all have it - in the dsl/cable router that connects you to the internet. Some better models do log traffic, but even then it's gonna be a lot of work to track your browsing habits.

Basically, unless you're behind a corporate firewall/proxy, you should be fine so long as you exercise some common sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.