Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

expat42451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
where my backpack is
Upgraded to 10.9.5 yesterday. Currently in a hotel in Ecuador. Before was able to connect no problems. Now, on the WEP wifi hotspots the computer will connect to the wifi appliance but I get the exclamation point in the icon and the error message "no internet connection". When looking at /System Preferences/Network/Wifi/Advanced/TCPIP I find that the computer has a self assigned IP address, no router address and no network connectivity.
OS 10.9.5 MacPro 8.1 with 8GB RAM

Any help or suggestions appreciated/

Expat

expat42451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
where my backpack is
satcomer

Didn't work. went through all steps. Please note in 10.9.5--

com.apple.internetconfig.plist

and

com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist

are in /Users/"username"/Library/Preferences, not in /"drive name"/Library, at least on this machine. I was able to connect to the wifi appliance on my floor with a network cable no prob. However when connecting with WiFi, the device will not assign an IP address, the computer connects and self assigns a wifi address and won't connect to the internet. I may hack the appliance next. I did not say that. Tired of having to go to the lobby for internet.

Expat

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
When you go into System Preferences->Network pane,Advanced button delete all the previous networks in the TCP/IP mini-Tab. Also go into /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app and delete the networks saved passwords. Then try to reconnect to see if that helps.

expat42451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
where my backpack is
satcomer

Thanks for the continuing interest. Have already done that and no joy. However-- and I cam over here to update the thread- I am down the street from the hotel in a little place that sells good coffee.....and connected no problem. So at this point I am of the opinion that its not the HW or SW but the hotel.

That router is right outside my door.....sure tempted to push the reset button.......I didn't say that.

Expat

Regards from the wilds of Ecuador- right on the edge of the rainforest. there is fiber in the jungle...... but it was installed 10,000 years ago to link Teoteohuican to Puma Punku.

expat42451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
where my backpack is
Here is something I ve never seen before. Got back to the hotel from the coffee shop and for why not I deleted the 3 internet connections for the hotel. Then went to the front desk and asked again for the password. WEP so the password is one letter and three numbers. I had everything correct except that the letter had to be a small letter rather than a capitol letter. I put it in and it worked. For the hell of it I put in the capitol letter again and the machine connected to the wifi just fine but no DHCP provisioning i.e. self assigned IP address and no internet connectivity. So I deleted the account again and tried a different combination of letters and numbers and the machine would not connect to the wifi. Go figure. Never have seen this before. So partially my error-- when I got here 3 nights ago I was wiped out after a day on the road from Quito-

Additionally after deleting the accounts from /Settings/Network/Wifi/TCPIP/Advanced I checked Keychain and there were no internet account i.e. Wifi passwords in Keychain. So either my removing them from /Network &c removed them or they might be located elsewhere in 10.9.5.....hopefully sharing this will be a little light shined into a corner somewhere not just my error.

Expat

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Some WEP routers allowed A-Za-z0-9, so, can see this happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.