Wifi problem - connected to internet but pages wont load

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wez99950, Jul 30, 2010.

1. wez99950 macrumors member

I tried ringing apple but unbeknownst to me my warranty has expired so wanted to see could I fix it before using money that was intended for my new iPhone. Any help/advice would be very very very much appreciated.
    Right, so yesterday I used a friends o2 dongle and I was asked did I want to save internet settings, I said yes - not knowing what I was saving (silly silly).
    I had to do work at my old college but was unable to connect to wifi. Went to the IT lads and they fixed it - sort of - I could access the Internet but no sites that required a log in eg gmail facebook.
    I am now at home and on my iPod typing this as my Mbp won't connect to the Internet! It was connecting to the wifi provider, have full signal but won't load the pages. I know it can't be the wifi as my iPod works fine.
    Can anyone help me!?!? At a loss

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you ran the Network helper/fixer? Go to Sys Prefs > Network > Airport > Helper (or something like that, not on my Mac atm).

3. wez99950 thread starter macrumors member

I did yes and it says that there are no problems - that the internet is connecting which is correct, strictly speaking - just that the pages aren't loading!
    The blue colour loading doesn't move at all and i don't get the moving circle thingy (v bad description i know!) that shows it's loading as well doesn't come up either

4. django696 macrumors member

django696

try restarting and pulling the power plug on your internet router for at least a minute or two. then restart...

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you rebooted? Tried another browser? Reset modem and router as well

6. wez99950 thread starter macrumors member

i did - i plugged out the router last night and turned off the laptop to see would that help anything but no luck sadly. i'm using an old old dell and it's working fine with the router. tried my mbp after work and nada - nothing loads.

7. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Try reserving an IP address for your MBP on your router and then renewing your DHCP lease on the MBP to refresh the IP.

My MBP had similar problems previously and I nailed it down to an IP conflict but my MBP didn't tell me (which didn't help).

8. wez99950 thread starter macrumors member

thank you! how do i go about doing what you said to do!? apologies but i can get my way around the computer but that's it i'm afraid - have never had a problem with the mbp so haven't had to fiddle around with it.
    Do i need to do something with the wireless router itself?

9. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Can't promise it'll fix your problem but its worth a shot.

It would help if you've got the documentation to your router/modem as getting into the configuration pages is dependent on the make and model of the device. You will also need to know the admin name and password to get into it.

10. wez99950 thread starter macrumors member

Sure, anything will help so this is much appreciated. Had a big search and found the box which has a cd and some information so i'm hoping it'll have the information we need

11. wez99950 thread starter macrumors member

Would you be able to do a little walk through of the steps that you did that sorted the issue??

12. bigjobby macrumors 65816

If you can give us the make and model of your wireless router maybe someone on here can give you some advice on how to reserve an IP address for your MBP. Must hit the sack for now.