WIFI problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Campbellini, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Campbellini macrumors newbie

Just bought a Touch and am having problems signing on the WIFI. The Touch picks up my router and I am certain I am entering the correct password but it will not let me join the network. Am I missing something? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    What do you mean by "doesn't let me"? Does it say timeout? Or incorrect passcode?

3. Campbellini thread starter macrumors newbie

It says "unable to join network". It responds as if it is the incorrect password but I can log on the router with the password I am using. It is a Verizon Fios router.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Have you tried other networks to see if you get the same result?

5. Campbellini thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I will give that a shot tomorrow. I was thinking it may be an encription problem but I am not real familar with WIFI. My first attempt at a connection.

6. cottonjenn macrumors member

Let me tell you, I had the very similar problem. I swore I had the correct password and I was getting very annoyed at not making the connection. It showed like I was connected but not reading my router. Apple support told me to call my router company which I hesitated because I was positive it wasn't the router's fault. After about 2 weeks I did call the router company and low and behold, what I thought, what I swore to be my router password, was not. The router company brought me to a site that showed my password, and it worked. I don't know where I got the password I had written down when my router was setup. I was so sure. So please double check and be sure, check with your router company and make sure you have the correct password.

7. PrinceAvalon macrumors member

Strange.... I have FiOS and I don't have issues. In fact, I'm on my Touch now writing this response lol. Check your router by logging into it you don't have something set up that could be causing the conflict.

Or check with verizon but I bet you might have an issue with the wifi chip in your touch. Unless you are able to connect to other networks in which case it's a router setting....

8. lookout macrumors newbie

The solution that worked for me when I had this problem was to enter the iPod touch's Mac address into the router as a permitted device or some such. I got alot of practice using the virtual keyboard entering the long password before finding that advice somewhere on these boards.

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Have you checked the logs of your router? What is your Router saying about the attempted connection?

10. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Are you trying to input your admin password for your router or your WiFi encryption key? You might not be putting in the right password.