WiFi problems (read before suggesting I haven't)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MrJSmi, Mar 18, 2012.

1. MrJSmi macrumors newbie

I use a 2008 black MacBook, Intel Core2Duo.
    Need more specs, just ask and I'll provide them

Here is the problem. I have had WiFi problems for a while now but it isn't dropouts out of no where. It seems to be when I am either so far from the router or when to many things come between the two points it drops the signal.
    My proof that is in my MacBook alone. When I'm in my home, I keep my MB in the room with the router and incur no problems but take it out and the signal disappears and won't be picked up. It isn't the same for my iPad2 that picks it up and works just fine any place in the house.
    At my work, I have an associate with the same exact MB I have that we bought at the same time in 2008. Her's will pick up the signal of my property's free wireless in the back office, but mine will not.

I want to say it's a firmware update that is needed or a setting that may be on/off that is making it difficult. Truthfully, I know it may be the MB itself. But to have it work just fine in a certain distance while others work just fine outside of that distance doesn't seem like a hardware issue.

Any help will be much appreciated! Ask for anymore info that I can give that will help. Thank you in advance.

J. Smith

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Since no one else seems keen to reply......

Sounds as if you have either a bad airport card or possibly broken cables and/or bad connections between the airport card and the antenna....

The symptoms you describe are consistent with the airport card not being connected to the antenna....

If you borrow the other MacBook you could start by sitting the 2 machines in the room with the router and then hold down the alt key and then clicking the airport strength icon in the menu bar. Compare the RSSI figures - are "yours" much lower (a larger negative) than the other MacBook ?

I suspect they will be...

3. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Logana is right, like with a TV set the antenna is not picking up the way it should in your machine. I can take mine out 500 feet from my house and still get internet. If you have the money, go to the store and have them repair it. Has it always done this? If so you can address that, and say to them that it was never configured right. They may give you a break.

But it sounds like the antenna is loose, or not connected. Try looking online for tutorials if you are confident in fixing the issue yourself, it's easy to take apart things, but knowing what your doing is a def must.

4. MrJSmi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank to the two that responded.
    I can't be definite when it started but it definitely wasn't in that condition at first. It's not normal for me to let something happen to it. I'm far from reckless.
    Do either of you two, or anyone else, know of a video or instruction that can give me an idea of what I'd be getting into before diving in head first?

J

5. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies