WiFi problems - suggest me a new router?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MoodyM, Feb 18, 2011.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2008
    I had a Netgear DGN2000 router, and was having all sorts of problems - my MacBook and MacBook Pro would drop the WiFi connection frequently, then when I tried to reconnect I was getting "Connection timeout" and "Invalid password" repeatedly, and eventually, after pressing "OK" 10 or 12 times, it would connect.

I was also having major problems trying to print to my WiFi Lexmark printer (took forever to print, connection errors, etc), so I replaced it with an HP WiFi printer, but have the same problems.

I tried changing WiFi channel, changing from WPA2 to WPA, moved the router into the same room as the computers, etc, no luck. I eventually thought it must be a faulty router, and decided to buy a brand new one (good excuse to upgrade to one with Gigabit Ethernet anyway!).

I plumped for a brand new Netgear DGN3500, set it all up, and am having more or less the same problems - i.e. WiFi connection dropping frequently, having to re-input password, etc.

I decided to move away from Netgear and thought "I'll return the DGN3500 to Amazon and swap it for a different brand". Trouble is, reading the reviews of other brands on Amazon (Linksys, Belkin, etc), there are always about 10-20% of reviews report connection problems like I was having with the Netgear!

So my question is, can anyone recommend a good router, in the UK, that they've had no problems with?

My requirements are:

1) 802.11b/g/n
    2) Gigabit Ethernet ports
    3) Ability to manually assign static IP addresses to my devices (I had a Belkin N1 Vision which didn't allow this)
    4) Not Netgear (I have nothing against them, have always used them, I just need to try another brand to see if it helps)

On my network I have:

MacBook Pro (wireless)
    MacBook (wireless)
    Windows 7 laptop (wireless)
    iPhone 4 (wireless)
    2 x iPhone 3G S (wireless)
    HP printer (wireless)
    iPad (wireless)
    Wii (wireless)
    Xbox 360 (now wired, as I was having Xbox Live problems with WiFi)
    PlayStation 3 (now wired, as I was having PSN problems with WiFi)
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    The problem probably isn't your router, since the same symptoms are appearing on both your old and new units.
  3. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Aug 5, 2005
    Possibly interference? Are there lots of other wifi networks about you?
    I have had a similar issue for a couple of months now. Using Netgear