wifi problems with 4.2

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by harry*333, Nov 24, 2010.

1. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

Updated to iOS 4.2.1, but am having problems with maintaining wifi connection. My iPad is seeming to forget the network, as approximately every 24 hours it will ask for my my network password, I enter it and all is well again. None of my computers are being disconnected so it isn't my airport extreme.
    Anyone else experiencing this, or have any ideas for solutions?

2. Kainz macrumors member

Yep, same here.

I initially had 4.2GMa on my iPad when I first had the bug, but fixed it easily with 'reset network settings'.

However I then installed a clean 4.2.1 on release day and still have that bug. Today I have hit 'reset network settings' three times and so far it is sticking...

This is by far the worst iOS release I've seen in general tbh. I am even having issues with AirPlay not playing audio through my airport express router.

3. Ksane macrumors regular

I had that problem with both GM releases, that's why I wasnt going out of my way to update. Glad I didn't.

4. tpbul macrumors newbie

I have had this problem on my iPad and both my wife's and my iPhone 4.0. I have found that a full reset isn't necessary (for me anyway) -- Usually just putting the device in airplane mode for about 30 seconds and then taking it out helps it to 'find' the WiFi again. Sometimes I have to do this a couple of times to get the WiFi back though.

5. harry*333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry*333

but the weird thing is that its not happening on my 3gs which has also been upadated

6. RadioRadioKy macrumors newbie

How I fixed my wifi issue

I deleted the wifi connection, did a hard reboot and then added back wifi connection and it seems to have fixed the problem.

7. RadioRadioKy macrumors newbie

Well crap, now it is doing it again. Just hanging up have to use 3G.

This is very irritating. Any other help??

8. Ipadq macrumors member

Wifi just craps out every now and then for me too. Never had a problem with wifi in the past 7 months or so, but it's clearly broken after this 4.2 update. Any help on this is highly appreciated.

9. Kainz macrumors member

My wifi has died six times today alone, which makes using the iPad a total pain. It just died a few minutes ago so I'm lucky i can use 3G on this thing. I really feel sorry for those who have wifi only iPads right now.

The only short term fixes I've found are:
    1) reboot the iPad.
    2) delete your wireless network connection and re-add it.
    3) Settings/General/Reset/Reset network settings.
    4) Swithing Airplane mode on/off sometimes helps.

Even if I perform any of the above, wifi still dies randomly.

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

This wifi issue is driving me nuts. If you click the arrow next to the network make sure auto connect is checked...it appears to be a new setting. Still every time I put my iPad in sleep it disconnects from my droids wifi tether....annoying it never used to do this. It makes no sense to have it disconnect when it turns off...how is it supposed to stay connected with my IM app, email and other push activitys yet the 3G iPads maintain there 3G connection? Stupid!

11. zetsurin macrumors regular

Just been discussing this in another thread. My internet (all apps) suddenly drops out intermittently, although I still have a solid WIFI signal. What I do is either:

1. Turn airplane mode on/off.

or

2. Choose 'Renew Lease' in my network settings.

or

3. Navigate Safari to my router's admin page (I don't have to do anything on the page, just navigate to it).

And my connection comes back to life.

Extremely frustrating. No other device I have shares this issue and trust me I have a lot of different gadgets here.

Who says Apple products Just Work eh?

NOTE: I didn't have this issue at all with 3.2.2.

12. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Wifi also not functioning properly on iPad.

I'll take this wifi only back tomorrow, as its worthless without it.

13. Ipadq macrumors member

14. Jai.Mac macrumors member

Been having problems with wifi since the release of iOS 4 for the iPhone. Connections drop, mail takes an eternity to update ,etc. I've tried every trick suggested...it can't be random coincidence that my iPad, iPhone 4 and iPod Touch all have the same issues. It makes me wonder if this problem has been a hidden bug since Steve first demo'd the iPhone 4, you'll remember he had to stop because he had really bad wifi issues.

Either they are aware of the problem and have no immediate fix so they won't acknowledge it or they're still oblivious which I highly doubt.

My iPhone 4 actually works FASTER on 3G than it does on wifi. Let's hope they release an update for iOS 4 ASAP!

15. zetsurin macrumors regular

Does anyone know the most appropriate place to report these issues directly to apple is? I've seen before that even the forums on their website isn't the correct place.

I share in the frustrations of others, so I think it's time to raise this issue with apple, and also get the news out to some gadget websites just to make sure that apple can't just quietly sweep it under a rug.

16. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

What security mode are you using? Does this happen on unsecured networks? Is there any commonality with regard to the router brand or model?

This must be something we're missing since no one I know is having this issue on 4.2.1 and mine works well too.

Cheers

17. Jai.Mac macrumors member

I'm using Airport Extreme on WAP2. Odd thing is I have the same settings I was using prior to iOS 4, so something was modified that has caused people some problems.

18. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Aes or tkip?

Tried removing security just to test?

Cheers,

19. zetsurin macrumors regular

I set up my old airport express today and as suspected the iPad works fine with it - haven't seen this issue surface in hours of surfing. It's not ideal as I now need 2 routers working when previously I only needed one. And I most certainly need my other router running as I have a number of wired connections to it which is something the express doesn't obviously cater for. As suggested above I'll start trying different security settings and whatnot for router that the iPad doesn't seem to like although the symptoms really seems to suggest an incompatibility of some kind to do with DHCP...

20. baconroll macrumors member

Also having problems with the wifi on my new iPad purchased yesterday. Intermittently I get no wifi all of a sudden say when it is off for 30 mins or so. I come back to it and I cannot load any pages on the Internet. I have to turn wifi off in settings then on agsin for it to work. Even though it is showing a signal. This isn't good after less than one day of having it.

21. pcunite macrumors member

Seems to me that people with wifi problems with the iPad have the 3G versions of the unit. A friend of mine has one and has the same issues. My 16GB wifi only iPad has never had an issue. Go figure...

22. LNYMRKO macrumors regular

Mine is a 16GB WiFi only iPad and is terribly slow after 4.2 update. Safari, Mail, YouTube, even refreshing the Calendar takes ages! :(

23. pcunite macrumors member

Wow... you know I think I'm seeing a slight difference in battery life also. I have rebooted the iPad, let's see how many days of standby I get now. It used to be a week was nothing, maybe more... I always used it before a week came around.

Try rebooting your iPad and see if that speeds it up.

24. jeffgtr macrumors regular

Wifi only and terrible wireless speed

I,ve had slow wifi problems ever since the last update. My iPad is a 32gb wifi only. Using an airport extreme. Very frustrating!