WIFI problems with macbook runing snow leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by davidrobertson1, Feb 17, 2010.

1. davidrobertson1 macrumors newbie

I have an odd problem. i was trying to use my new macbook in a friends flat. She has a Wifi system. It works fine with her older macbook. It works fine on my Iphone. My macbook can't see that there is a network at all, tho it can puck up her neighbours networks. The little bars remain blank, and the network is not listed in those a viable to join. It works fine with my own network at home. Until recently my macbook pro worked in her flat, and stopped. i can't be sure but the stop may have coincided with my upgrading to snow Leopard, which my new macbook also uses. Is there a problem with Snow Leopard? It there some work round?

2. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

im on snow leopard and i can see all the networks in the places ive been, try resetting the wifi router itself then try resetting your laptop and clearing the DNS and stuff,

3. davidrobertson1 thread starter macrumors newbie

WIFI and Snow Leopard

Tried that. Looks as tho the older routers can't cope with 128 conversion.

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

5. phaedrus351 macrumors newbie

Same problem since Snow Upgrade

Intermittent, usually happens at open commercial redirect feeds like the Denver airport. My Ipod Touch will connect, the Macbook next to it won't. Sometimes. Sometimes just slow, sometimes it works like it should. Sometimes there are residual networks showing in the drop down menu and not the one I know is there, sometimes it's hooked up just fine and the icon shows it's not. Various little tricks like shutting down airport and restarting, playing with network settings, will sometimes fix the issue, that time in that spot. Haven't tried firmware downgrade or going back to 10.5.

Others seem to have the same problem, including within the relatively small number of Mac users in my circle, so it's not a rare issue. (Seems to hit an older generation Macbook with 10.6 more often.) But Apple would have the best non-anecdotal view of the issue, and Apple isn't working it, or if they are they're keeping it quiet. Getting more and more like dealing with Microsoft. If I wanted to play troubleshooter I'd run Linux, at least the fixes usually stay fixed. I've quit saying "have I mentioned Mac" when troubleshooting friend's Windows boxes.