Wifi problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mickgally, Nov 16, 2010.

1. mickgally macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone.

Well i've been searching all over and i can't seem to find a fix to the problem i'm having so i have given up and posted on here :p

Got my new iphone 4 about 2 weeks ago and i love it!! Used to have a 3GS before this one. The Problem i'm having is with the Wifi on the Iphone4. At home it works fine. But when i connect it to my works network, it connects and work fine for about 10secs then just goes super super slow to the point where it just doesn't work.

My 3GS was fine on it, my laptops work fine one it, just the iphone4 and i just can't get my head around what is causing this. I work in support here so i have access to the routers etc..

Anyone have any idea's

thanks alot.

2. weespeed macrumors 6502

Check to see if you're running wireless n. If so which freq? IPhone is 2.4ghz and I your router is set to 5ghz. It'll do that.
    Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.

3. mickgally thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Been round and checked all the routers we use and they are already set at 2.4ghz. This is staring to get frustrating :(

If i forget the Network and join back again it's fine, 10secs later and it's back to how it was. The really weird thing is, when i first got the phone and added it to the network it was fine and worked great for about a week then this happened.

Nothing at all has been changed on the routers.

4. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

5. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I went this horrible route with my newer 3GS ios4 because of the wiFi issue. Wiped everything. Big mistake. Didn't fix the problem either.

It was a last resort, because nothing else fixed the wifi problem I'm having.

6. mickgally thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i've just tried the same with no luck. Near the apple store at the weekend so might pop in and see what they have to say about it

7. REDKING macrumors newbie

wifi problem

I also have an iPhone four. I should say 5 because this is the 5th replacement handset.

At least the others connected to my home wifi ! These last two allow me to select the home network, puts a tick against it suggesting it has joined but then no icon on the top of the home scree to indicate that it has connected UNTIL ........ I try to make a phone call and instantly the wifi icon appears on top of screen until the call finishes and then disappears again.

The apple staff suggested that it may have been a faulty antennae chip on my previous handset and so replaced it. I honestly believe they have no idea what is wrong. Can anyone please help.
    My macbook is successfully using the same network and also has the correct password stored in keychain.

I owuld be very appreciative of any informed help.

8. mickgally thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i went to the apple store this weekend. Spoke to one of the guys in there. He connected it to their wireless to see the problem and it didn't work. Did a speed test with his phone and mine at the same time, mine just did nothing. Rebooted the phone and it worked fine for about 1 min or so then nothing again.

So he noted it all down and has booked me in next weekend to see a tech guy about it to see if it's a hardware or software problem. Don't know why they just couldn't do it when i was there.....

Hopefully they will sort something out for me.

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Maybe 4.2.1 being released today will help. I would definitely give it a try.

10. mickgally thread starter macrumors newbie

well updated to 4.2 today, thought i was in luck, it was working for about 30mins most it's ever done then gone again :(

Hope they apple sort it out for me this Saturday.

11. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

OP, 4.2 or the official 4.2.1 release?

12. mickgally thread starter macrumors newbie

13. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

I have wifi issues as well with my ip4, but not like yours. It detects wifi in places that have wireless, but doesn't have a strong wifi signal. Like in my house, my router is on the third floor and my phone can detect a signal there, but will lose the wifi signal as soon as I reach the first floor of my house. While my gfs iPhone 4 has a perfect wifi signal on the 1st floor. Same with my iPad.

Everything else on the phone is perfect, so it has to be a software issue. Would apple give me a new phone for a problem like this?

14. Iphone4slow macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 slow with dgn3500

I've got the same issue like many others if you search the net. After a lot of searching I've found out that wireless n on iphone4 is only 2.4 and not 5.0 ghz enabled. Therefore various router and other wireless n devices are either interfering or causing incompatibility issues.

I have an iphone4 32 gb that was working at 6mbps download on speedtester.net as was my laptop for last three months. My router is quite new Netgear DGN3500 which is dual band capable (2.4 & 5.0 ghz) and it appears since iOS 4.1 onwards there is some kind of compatibilty issue. Even some customers using apples own airport extreme are reporting problems on this forum....Apple are you reading this!!??? Fix is required!

Until they own up to this one, there does not now seem to be a way to completely fix the issue on all routers...here are some options:-

1. Disable 5.0 ghz mode by using b or g mode only (not n)
    2. Use n mode but lower speed (upto 130 mbps usually works on 2.4 ghz only)
    3. Try different channels. 11 is usually good in uk.
    4. Try to switch off any other n devices that might interfere

I found I can go from a pathetic 1mbps download to around 2mbps or more on iPhone 4 but still nowhere near the 6 mbps I get from my laptop pc!!

Very frustrating. Love to hear from anyone else with an issue, especially Netgear router....

15. mickgally thread starter macrumors newbie

So i went back to the apple shop this weekend. They didn't even really have a look at it, just asked what's wrong, told him (Even tho when i did he started talking to someone else!! nice of him) and just said i'll give you a new phone which he did.

Works now with no problems, he said it will have been a fault with the phone.

So if anyone else is having this problem get booked in at the apple store.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem

16. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

I don't have major wifi issues, as some have indicated here. For the most part, wifi does work for me. Both at home and at work. But what I do find sometimes happening, is that wifi will disconnect and will not reconnect automatically. When this happens, I usually go to Wi-Fi settings, and it will automatically just kick in again. Then there are times when I lose connection, and I literally have to go to Wi-Fi do a search until it finds my network, then I have to chose it for it to reconnect. Does anyone know why this happens?

Never used to do it on my old 3GS running 3.1.3. With my router being completely up to date, even having restored both router and phone, and other wi-fi devices connect with no issues, this issues seems to occasionally happen (more times than I'm used to or like it to).

17. Iphone4slow macrumors newbie

Fixed!!!

Wow! Sadly, I have no idea why, but this evening my WIFI is now running at at full speed (6MBps download, just like my laptop).....i am very confused...

Spent all night yesterday reconfiguring everything to no avail....left the router in wireless g/channel 11/WPA2 but it did not change a thing....until today?

All I have done since is a quick itunes sync (no change of os, still at 4.2.1 as before) and I downloaded a few apps and copied a few movies across via cable and wifi using VLC and AV Player....suddenly, a quick speedtest.net confirms it's zipping alonng!! I also installed a new case today and replaced an ageing screen protector. I can't see how this would change it, unless a good clean/change of static level did something? Maybe we've been having solar flares!

Who knows....I wish I could nail it down, but it just works. I will report back if it drops out again, until then, it cant hurt to copy what ive been doing! Maybe one of the apps nudge the right bit into place...

Maybe a neighbor switched off their router? Interference?

:D:D:confused:

18. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

That actually sounds like an issue I was having with my IP a week ago, bandwidth speed dropped to about 2-5Mbps (I ususally get 10-20Mbps) for a few days. Speed on my desktop and iPhone were drastically reduced. Had a tech come by and check, said there was nothing wrong on my end, and everything looks good on their end. Turns out there was a relay box that was having issues causing a congestion for other users. They fixed last Friday, and the speed shot right back up. Not sure if this could have been the reason for you.

19. Iphone4slow macrumors newbie

Interesting.....

Yet my laptop has been working at 6MBPs the whole time. Only my iphone 4 since os 4.1 and 4.2.1 updates had slowed to 1MBps....so it points to a software issue on the os update and perhaps an intolerence to certain wireless frequencies etc?

Of further interest, I just checked, and my router settings are actually this:-

Region: Europe
    Channel: Auto
    Mode: g

WPA2-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 with Pre-Shared Key)

Also, the MTU is set to 1458 incase that matters....

Maybe the auto channel selection has picked up a clearer freq to work with the iphone?

Puzzling....