Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

db14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
I just got my mac two days ago and am still having problems keeping connected to the internet. My router is older (NetGear WGR614v6 i think), but it works fine for my other laptop, two iPhones, and Xbox360. I can get to about two links before it stops working. I've opened the network preferences and it will same I'm connected. The only thing I've noticed is that it appears to be changing IPs quite a bit. Even when I am not using any other devices on the network I can't get it to work though. Any ideas? i do have a new N+ router on the way, but it would be nice to be able to use this thing.

Jolly Giant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
have you checked for wireless interference ?

perhaps one of your neighbor's wireless networks is interfering with yours. download e.g. iStumbler and note the channels other networks in the vicinity are broadcasting on. change the channel(s) of your network as far away as possible from those.

note there may be hidden (closed) networks around that iStumbler won't pick up. however, KisMac will be able to. be aware, though, that in some countries the use of KisMac may not be legal !

db14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
I thought about doing that, but wouldn't I have issues with the other devices on the network if that was the problem?

Jolly Giant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
I thought about doing that, but wouldn't I have issues with the other devices on the network if that was the problem?

just try it. it may be trial & error until you find a channel that gives you reasonable performance.

again, read the article on wireless interference. heck, even turning on bluetooth on your Mac may interfere with wifi performance. there are sources for interference that you cannot avoid/overcome but, in my own experience, it is surprising what a simple change of channels can do.

at the end of the day, though, only a hardwired network will give you an "interference-free" networking experience (of course, you cannot hardwire your iDevices).

db14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have helped. I can't even get it to load one page. Hmmmm..... any other suggestions?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have helped. I can't even get it to load one page. Hmmmm..... any other suggestions?

Please try to help yourself! Open System Preferences->Network pane, highlight the Airport card. Click on the 'Advanced' button . Then click on the TCP/IP tab and see if you have an IP, subnet mask & router IP. If you get a router IP put that router IP into your favorite browser address window. Get into that router and check it;s settings. Check if it has MAC (not Mac) address filtering on the router. Also check to see if you can change the channel of the wireless signal.

You would use something like the free iStumbler to see what other wireless router channels around you are being used. This way you can change to a different channel to mitigate wireless interference.

db14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Please try to help yourself! Open System Preferences->Network pane, highlight the Airport card. Click on the 'Advanced' button . Then click on the TCP/IP tab and see if you have an IP, subnet mask & router IP. If you get a router IP put that router IP into your favorite browser address window. Get into that router and check it;s settings. Check if it has MAC (not Mac) address filtering on the router. Also check to see if you can change the channel of the wireless signal.

You would use something like the free iStumbler to see what other wireless router channels around you are being used. This way you can change to a different channel to mitigate wireless interference.

I have tried to help myself! Downloaded iStumbler, logged in to my router and changed to an unused channel. No help. I've taken it to a friends house and used their wifi and it worked perfectly. I did look at the MAC addressing, it is setup to "use default address".

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Like someone else said try a direct hook up, get an cat 5 or ether net cable and run it from the modem to your Mac. Then try to load a page. This will make sure if it is or isn't the physical airport card in your Mac. If this works then it's either a compadability issue, software or interference. If it doesn't then call the apple store and make an appointment they will fix it for free. If it's interference try changing the channel of the router, or the type of security. If it's your macs software just pop in the re install disc that came with your Mac and it will fix any messed up software on your Mac.

db14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Got my new router in today, so no more problems. Thanks to those who helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.