wifi problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BarryChuckle, Aug 23, 2011.

1. BarryChuckle macrumors member

Hey guys just a quick question.

Recently I have been having problems with my wifi, I thought that installing lion (and it's latest update) would have fixed it but it's still occurring. After a certain time the wifi connection will hang for a bit, turning off airport and back on again fixes this problem and I'm connected again. (It doesn't say no internet connection available only 10% of the time)

[​IMG]
    I am connected to my wifi connection

Is this a regular problem ? and if it is how can I fix it ? I've even considered clean installing snow leopard and then updating to lion again.

2. Nbyond macrumors newbie

Make sure your cords and everything are plugged in. Also, install all the right drivers.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Do you have other things running on the network? If you do check the others because maybe it could be your ISP or AirPort that is having problems.

Macs come preinstalled with all the correct drivers for Wi-Fi, especially for AirPorts.

4. BarryChuckle thread starter macrumors member

I know for sure airport is the problem the internet works fine through wired. I've also tested wifi at several places and the same thing happened. It's really annoying at this point because I'm downloading a lot recently and I have to keep coming back to reset my connection.

Oh and thanks for the replies, I appreciate it lots :D

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I've been having the same problem for the last few months on my iMac running snow-leopard. The last update I installed helped some - I still have to turn it off and on every once in a while for it to find the network after waking from sleep.

I don't think a clean install would help anything - just have to wait for the next update from Apple.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

In terminal copy, paste and press enter the text below:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport /usr/sbin/airport
    It will give you a warning and ask to type in your password. Type it in (no characters are displayed, and press enter)

Once you have done this, copy and paste

Code:
    airport -s
    and press enter. After a short wait a list like this will appear:

Code:
                                SSID BSSID             RSSI CHANNEL HT CC SECURITY (auth/unicast/group)
                       TalkTalk8453b 00:22:b0:63:04:ee -82  1       N  -- WPA(PSK/TKIP/TKIP) 
                               dlink 02:1b:11:e1:b7:b5 -37  6       N  -- WPA(PSK/TKIP/TKIP) 
                     BTHomeHub2-WM9S 00:21:04:a6:8f:1a -66  11      Y  -- WPA(PSK/AES,TKIP/TKIP) WPA2(PSK/AES,TKIP/TKIP) 
                         BTHub3-7TSN 00:fe:f4:23:45:20 -80  11      N  -- WPA(PSK/AES,TKIP/TKIP) WPA2(PSK/AES,TKIP/TKIP) 
                        Tomaskou1103 00:21:04:11:c0:27 -73  8       N  GB WPA(PSK/TKIP,AES/TKIP) WPA2(PSK/TKIP,AES/TKIP) 
                       TalkTalk62333 00:22:b0:65:96:27 -74  1       N  -- WPA(PSK/TK
    The items we are interested in is the channel section. Do any of the nearby networks appear on the same channel? If so change the WiFi channel on your router.

7. BarryChuckle thread starter macrumors member

Cheers I tried that so hopefully it works.. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening when using public wireless connections ?

Thanks again

8. Nbyond macrumors newbie

Not if you're installing Windows

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Unfortunately not. You won't be able to change the wireless channel the public router broadcasts on.

10. BarryChuckle thread starter macrumors member

After a few hours this problem is still persistent.

Just cuts out and says it cannot acquire the IP address. It then fixes itself when going into diagnostics. (Before I've even selected connection)

I am not sharing the same wifi channel with anyone in my vicinity.

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I was having problems with wifi on my wife's older Intel Mac mini and the AppleCare guy suggested I spend some time dinking around with wireless channels and stuff I had never ever bothered with since switching to Mac. I did discover that her mini only does 802.11g. G??!?!?!?! So I remembered I had a gigabit ethernet drop about 8 feet away and opened up the box and pulled the wire to her mini. Problem solved. Later, I heard that Lion has a known problem with intermittent wifi that 10.7.1 allegedly fixes. I would call and bug Apple about this and don't waste time on channel numbers and router configurations if your wifi was working before you upgraded to Lion.

Heck, now that Apple has (unofficially) let it slip iCloud might be supported in Snow Leopard, I would consider rolling back to SL until a solid Lion update really really fixes intermittent wifi unless you can pull a wire to your Mac. On my wife's machine it was really nasty. I could sit there and watch it get on wifi, show all 4 arcs, drop to 2 arcs and fall off wifi all in a span of about 90 seconds. I have switched wifi off on that machine and may never bother switching it back on, mainly because even when it does work, it's only G. Another issue is that her Time Machine backups, which had always been done wirelessly were corrupted. The time to do a fresh backup was about 25 hours. Once I switched off wifi and plugged in the cable, the time to do a full Time Machine backup from scratch dropped to only 55 minutes. I should also mention that on our other machines, the wifi is solid. My Macbook, my son's MBP and our other intel Mac minis all have no problems with wifi under Lion but my son and I are the only family members with N connectivity.