Wifi problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajbarrows, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ajbarrows macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a mid-2009 15-inch MacBook Pro. The wifi stopped working, meaning that system profiler detected no wifi card. I tried some tricks involving Mountain Lion disabling wifi cards with no luck. Then I rolled the operating system way back to Leopard, and the computer still didn't detect the wifi card. I checked all of the connections, and still no luck. I then ordered a new (used, but working) wifi card and replaced it. Absolutely no change. Bluetooth works, iSight works, wifi doesn't.

I'm fairly well-versed in computer repair, but I just can't figure this out.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

A couple more things:

Re-flaash, the BIOS equivalent of whatever they called it in the Mac world.

A power rail has burned feeding the WIFI card, if u know the pin-out.

3. ajbarrows thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea. Do you have any suggestions for fixing?

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Can't fix if don't know what's wrong.

Based on description however, it's not the daughter board, so it gotta be something on the main board that talks to daughter board. So that's what I'd look for, what talks to the daughter board and what allows it to respond back? Hence:

1) Maybe it's not getting power. I'd attempt to make sure it's getting power by figuring out the pinout of the connector. U can read off the Chip(s) and google for pinouts and DMM away.

2) In Wintel machines, one can disable a hardware device via the BIOS, so the OS doesn't see it at all. Am not familiar with Mac to tell you here what exactly to look for. Leaving it to you.

So again, those are my 2 System overviews of what to look for next.

Nobody can tell you how to fix unless there is a Mac technician lurking around here. All the rest of us can do is to give you ideas.

Maybe u can bypass the whole thing, is there another free mini-PCI slot there for another WIFI board?