Wifi problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rebel Heart, May 27, 2015.

1. Rebel Heart macrumors newbie

Rebel Heart

Hey guys,

I was hoping you can help me out.
    We recently switched to a glass fibre internet connection.
    On the ground floor and first floor everything's perfectly fine. Download speeds on the 2.4ghz network are about 100MBps, down and up.
    On the 5ghz network they are about 210MBps down and 200 up.

My room is on the second floor, and somehow, the 5ghz network is completely unreachable there, and the 2.4ghz one loses a lot of strength. It's only 1 bar on my iPhone, full on my Macbook, but download speeds are down from 100mb to 10 mb max.

I use an airplay speaker in my room, that's become pretty much unusable. Can only use it when my phone is docked.

The router is a special glass fibre one from our provider. A 2013 Time Capsule creates the wireless network, a 2nd gen TC on the first floor extends it, and a 1st gen on the second floor extends it as well. [​IMG]

They all have an excellent connection, except for the second floor TC. It's connection says 'good'. Whenever I'm in my room, not a single device connects to it. They all connect to the TC on the first floor, or (try) to reach the main floor TC.
    Is there a way to fix this? To maintain an excellent collection on all three floors?

Thanks.
    ps I hope my writing makes sense to at least one of you, my knowledge re. wifi connections etc is very limited.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Couple of things....

1. You really need to hardwire each TC to each other. You are losing a lot of bandwidth using the extend wifi since every packet sent from the last TC to the 1st can actually go thru multiple hops and each segment and (if IRC you lose half the bandwidth with each "hop")....
    2. Try setting up different SSID's with each TC. That way you can specify to connect to the 2nd floor TC when you are there.
    3. 5ghz does not penetrate walls well, so it will always have limited range. It will have less interference from other electrical devices in your house, but the range is quite low....

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Wireless extension is far from ideal. Your best bet is to configure a roaming network. Ethernet is used as the back bone as mentioned earlier, but it allows seamless roaming to the strongest access point! Wireless extension is the true bandwidth killer here. Theoretically, when wirelessly extending each base station must connect back to the "main" base station. Even if the one is closer to an extending base station, per Apple's protocols it will connect back to the main. Setting up different SSIDs will just make a mess and cause "sticky client" syndrome where clients stick to one base station and not jump like in a roaming network.