Wifi Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ikermalli, Jul 19, 2009.

1. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I have an Early 2008 White MacBook. Recently I have been having problems acquiring wifi signals with it. My iPhone, othere peoples' phones, my sister's computer and everything else can get wifi in my room, but my MacBook has not been able to "see" the connections for the past few days. Does anyone have any ideas? I am tethering my iPhone 3G right now and it's killing my data plan, I have used 3 GBs in 2 days (I have 6 GBs on my data plan)

2. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Make sure the airport card on the Mac is up to date, but it sounds like a hardware issue. The antennae but have come undone or the NIC has failed completely. Does it see any wireless networks at all?

3. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

No it is Not seeing any wireless networks. I'll try updating it though when I get back home.

4. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

It is enabled right? If you don't see any WLAN networks and others can; it is a hardware issue.

5. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dang, no I can't see any WLAN networks and Airport Utility cannot find any "apple wireless devices" so I guess it's a hardware problem. The only thing for me is that I have a futureshop warranty not applecare so I would get a computer of equal value ($800) or a refund... :(

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a

IF the hardware is in fact faulty, a USB wireless dongle may work, if you buy one that is known to work with Macs (like from a store that caters to the Mac owners e.g., OWC/MacSales).

[If the internal card works, it is not recommended to use a USB dongle for WiFi according to http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050201091946184 ]

7. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

But the machine is under a store warranty. Why would they want to keep a machine that has a hardware failure when they could return it? If they want to go the external wireless option, then the store should provide it free of charge and give $100 back on the purchase price.

8. BobZune macrumors 6502a

It is up to the OP and the Store of course, depending on the warranty terms. Last I looked new Macbooks were $925+.

9. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

He is in Canada and they are not $925.

10. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

In Canada the white macbooks are $1,150 and the unibody are upwards of $1500, if I send it in under warranty then if they cannot fix it then they will either give me $800 and I'm out a computer or a new Windows PC and all my stuff is on my Mac and I don't want to get a windows pc again! So I will get a usb wifi dongle.

11. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

They should be able to repair it. Either the NOC is bad, came unplugged or the antennae has. If you feel adventurous, open it up yourself or take it to a Mac authorized repair facility.

Has it ever worked?