Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James717

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
This is a problem especially when I'm outside.

I have a 2013 Macbook Air (the newest one)

I use WiFi alot. I need it 24/7 for my job.

Ok, I go to a coffee shop and find their Wifi. I click on it and it prompts a Password. I ask for it and the nice waitress tells me. I input and that's that. I find out that I may have inputed the wrong password.

I would like to get that Prompt and input the correct password.

How the heck do I do that???

I thought Join Other Network would work but it won't prompt the password box again. I'm stuck!

Please help.

Thank you.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I have no idea why it wouldn't prompt u gain, but OK try this:

Delete the SSID from the favorite list.

Refresh and wait until the SSID populate.

Click on it again.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
the first thing i usually do when i do something like this is turn wifi off, wait 2 clicks and then turn it back on. It should reprompt you to enter.

If not,

System Preferences > Network > Advanced... > Select your network > Click the - (minus sign) and add it again or let it find it.

alternatively you can click on your wifi icon, click show network preferences and it will take you right there.

After 10.7 they took away the option to change wifi passwords.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I've never had a Mac (or iOS device for that matter) accept a wrong network password without alerting me the password was incorrect and to try again. Are you saying the Air accepted the wrong password for the network? :confused:

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Open Keychain Access (Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain Access) and find the name of the wireless network in your login keychain's list. From here you can either update the password by selecting "show password" and then replacing the incorrect password, or you can delete the entry from the list by highlighting it and pressing your delete key. The next time you attempt to join the network it will either use the updated password (if you changed it) or it will prompt you to enter the password if you deleted the entry.

----------

I've never had a Mac (or iOS device for that matter) accept a wrong network password without alerting me the password was incorrect and to try again. Are you saying the Air accepted the wrong password for the network? :confused:

The only time I see this type of situation occur is when the password for the network itself changed, meaning the Mac had the right password beforehand but now needs to be updated. In 10.7 & 10.8 it seems to rarely if ever prompt for the new password when attempting to join the network again. I know this all to well because we changed the password for our building wide wifi at work a few months ago, within a few days I had 20+ help tickets asking about joining wifi. Our particular issue usually asks for a password but never actually accepts it. You have to delete it from Keychain in order to enter the new password.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Open Keychain Access (Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain Access) and find the name of the wireless network in your login keychain's list. From here you can either update the password by selecting "show password" and then replacing the incorrect password, or you can delete the entry from the list by highlighting it and pressing your delete key. The next time you attempt to join the network it will either use the updated password (if you changed it) or it will prompt you to enter the password if you deleted the entry.

----------

The only time I see this type of situation occur is when the password for the network itself changed, meaning the Mac had the right password beforehand but now needs to be updated. In 10.7 & 10.8 it seems to rarely if ever prompt for the new password when attempting to join the network again. I know this all to well because we changed the password for our building wide wifi at work a few months ago, within a few days I had 20+ help tickets asking about joining wifi. Our particular issue usually asks for a password but never actually accepts it. You have to delete it from Keychain in order to enter the new password.
Ahhh...makes sense then. I know some of the smaller public wifi establishments do change the password now and then. Thanks for the explanation, Mr. Rabbit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.