Wifi Q

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iLoyal, Jan 3, 2011.

1. iLoyal macrumors regular

Hey guys, I have a iphone4 (4.1) that's jailbroken and I know unlock for it is not available yet. The thing is I am sick and tired of not being able to use the internet unless there's a wifi near my area of range.

Are there any apps that's available for me to access to internet all the time?

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/02/12/iphone-wifi-hotspot/

I've heard of MyWii and alot of negative things about it. Also from the link above it require me to turn on bluetooth which will drain the battery dramatically. So are there any other apps through Cydia that can allow me to access the internet all the time?

Thank you! Happy New Year; stay blessed and be safe.

*PS: If the apps charges me $$ to install it, can I use a prepaid debit/paypal card that I can purchase from CVS, Walmart, Walgreen, etc? I just dont feel safe using my creditcards on the internet. I am an IT person myself and I know any information has chance of leaking out.

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

When I had MyWi I never had any issues with it besides the increased battery consumption (for obvious reasons). Worked perfectly for me however I have seen a number of threads here from people having issues with it for one reason or another.

I think you can use a prepaid debit card for purchases through Cydia. I've never tried it but I'm assuming it would be okay to use. It all goes through PayPal anyways so you'll be safe in the event that hackers come through and steal your info. I've bought a number of apps through Cydia and have never had any issue(s) of my information being misused.

3. iLoyal thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. So the only app that's does it is MyWii?? Also is it a one time payment? or monthly?

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

No, there are other tethering apps out there like PDANet. I think there's also another one but I can't remember the name. The apps are a one time payment. Last I checked, MyWi was $20 I think.

5. iLoyal thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks that really helped alot, but I'll try to find other apps. If i can't then i guess it's either wait for unlock or go with MyWii. Just to make sure, so I can access to the internet any time even though I have a iphone4 (4.1) that's jailbroken?

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I guess to be clear here, since you have an iPhone 4 I'm assuming you have some sort of data plan with it correct? All MyWi does is turn your IP4 into a wifi hotspot so you can connect your laptop or iPad or whatever to it to access the internet.

If this is true then, yes, with MyWi you'll be able to access the internet at anytime on your laptop. In order to use MyWi, your phone NEEDS to be jailbroken so you're okay there.

7. iLoyal thread starter macrumors regular

No sorry, I don't have a data plan. Forgot to mention my carrier is T-Mobile; so currently I'm using a Samsung Vibrant. By what you are saying, i assume MyWii is useless to me.

8. Claude626 macrumors 6502

If you are not on any carrier's data plan, your only source of online connection for your iPhone is via Wifi. No way around it.

MyWi is assuming you DO have a carrier data plan. It turns your iPhone into a wifi source. The phone would already have internet anywhere.

9. iLoyal thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.. was a bit confused. I guess I am stuck and no other way except for the 4.1 unlock to arrive.

10. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Unfortunately, yes.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, so let me get this straight.
    You dont have carrier data from Tmobile but you're looking for an app that will give you free internet, anywhere all the time without needing to connect to wifi?

12. iLoyal thread starter macrumors regular

Nope I dont have carrier data from Tmobile since 4.1 unlock is not available yet. CORRECT!! that's exactly what I was asking for; sorry if I confused anyone.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Me too:D

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'm just going to say no there is not a App that does what you r looking for TS. Sorry if you want to use data you have to either use wifi, internet of buy Data from T-mobile in your case.