WiFi Q

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by saladiro, Feb 21, 2010.

1. saladiro macrumors 6502a

saladiro

hi,

I have wifi set to "on" and ask to ask to join networks "off". It then says "a known network will be joined automatically", "if no known networks are available u will have to manually select a network"

here is the question, I go to a new hotspot, which has wifi, in this case, none of these networks are known or new to me. So.....

1 will i have to go into wifi settings and select it? (as in guess of they have it)

2 or will a pop up, telling me i am in a wifi area?

I may have this confused, but i am getting the impression, that in order to see if I am in a new hotspot, I manually have to "try" lets say at a coffee trip on a road trip. or else I will never know

I was under the impression that my iPhone would pick up any free wifi as long as i Had Wifi "on" ask to join networks "off".

pls help

ron

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, you'll have to "manually" join it.

The "ask" option means that the iPhone will ask you if it sees an open network that you don't have on your list. If you want the iPhone to ask you if you want to join an open network, when your preferred ones aren't available, you should set this option to yes/on.