Wifi Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Maclver, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I have the 2011 Macbook Air and I'm about to purchase a new Airport, does the new Macbook Airs have the same update the macbook pros got when it came to three spatial stream support?

2. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

Good question. In iFixit's teardown, step 6, we can see only two antennas. On the MacBook Pro, step 6 as well, there are three, and even a dedicated one for Bluetooth.

Recently, I was wondering why my sister's MacBook Pro got much better throughput (and steadiness) while connected to the same crappy WiFi router. Looking up the answer to your question, now I know why :rolleyes:.

3. d.r.margulies macrumors newbie

wifi Question

I have the 2011 Macbook Air and I'm about to purchase a new Airport, does the new Macbook Airs have the same update the macbook pros got when it came to three spatial stream support?

In response, yes the new MBA does work on the 5ghz range. I just upgraded to the Airport Extreme and boosted my wifi throughput to about 11-12MBps... pretty steady (thats 88-96Mbps). while sitting in the same room with the router.

Also, if you use an apple tv2 this works on that same band and will make loading times much faster since you have much more throughput.

How this helps!